Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 5055
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm unable to print heavy card stock on my Envy 5055 printer, though I had no trouble on my old Deskjet 712C (which is no longer supported under Windows 10).  I've read the posts about card printing here, not none of the solutions seems to work.  I've tried various paper settings; but there's none on the 5055 for card stock.  Does that mean the 5055 simply can't print on card stock?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@shanafeg Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are facing issues with printing card stock.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

Did you check if your printer supports cardstock printing?

If you haven't, click on the link below to check out the supported card type that the Envy 5055 supports and posted a screenshot for you below. I have also posted the link to get to the specifications page for you! I hope that helps

https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-envy-5000-all-in-one-printer-series/14095644/model/14095768/...

That said, here're the steps on how to print:

Paper Type

The first step is to determine what type of paper your printer supports. Some printers may not be equipped to handle the heavyweight of card stock, and trying to print with that type of paper could do damage to your printer. HP recommends reading the documentation that came with your printer, including the owner's manual or user guide, to find out what types of paper your printer can support. LaserJet and OfficeJet printers can typically handle card stock, though others may not. You can also check the printer's datasheet; look for the "Media Weight" to find out what weights of paper it supports, and then compare that to the paper information the packaging of your card stock. After reviewing the recommendations, purchase the recommended card stock.

Adjust Printer Tray

Now that you know your printer can support card stock, adjust the printer settings to essentially inform the printer and computer that you're using heavy paper. Your owner's manual will have more specific instructions, but typically, you'll first have to adjust the printer tray. On the printer's control panel, click "Select" to open the printer menus, and then select "Paper Handling." Scroll up or down the menu to find "Tray." Select "Heavy" or "Card Stock" from the Tray menu. Then close the menus by pressing "Resume."

Printer Settings

You'll also need to change your printer settings. With the document you want to be printed, open on your Windows computer, click "Print" from the File menu. Then click "Properties," and select "Paper" or "Paper Quality." Select "Card Stock" or the weight of paper you're using from the list of paper types, and then click "OK."

Feed the Paper

Some HP printers may allow you to load multiple pieces of card stock into the tray, but to get the best quality, you may have to load the card stock manually. Look at the card stock to make sure there are no nicks and the paper is not curled or otherwise damaged. If it is, the paper may not feed properly. Also, check your printer's documentation to find out whether the card stock needs to be fed through a particular tray on your printer. On the LaserJet 4200, 4300 and 9500 series printers, for example, card stock needs to go through Tray 1. Hand feed the first card into the tray, review it for quality, and then try adding a stack of cards to the tray. If you have problems, hand-feed each card.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

There is no option, either on the printer window, or on the Properties option on the printer driver in the comuter itself, to select Card Stock.  Print options include Photo papers, Matt finish, Glossy finish, Plain paper, Brochures, etc.  I have managed to print light card stock which I was told is 110 lb. in weight, and that appears to be the max that this printer can handle.

HP Recommended

@shanafeg

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggest you  perform the clean reinstallation of Pre-installed HP drivers

1.       In Windows, search for and open Programs and features   

2.       Select your HP Printer   

3.       Select Uninstall   

4.       In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers   

5.       In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’   

6.       Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.   

7.       Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)   

8.       Click on the “Drivers” tab   

9.       Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom   

10.   Select Ok   

11.   Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows   

12.   Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer. 

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

That seems a bit extreme, and I doubt if it would change the settings any (no print menu choice for heavy card stock).  I've figured a workaround of sorts: I'm printing on 8.5 x 14 paper, which sticks out of the end of the paper tray.  The problem seems to be the paper rollers getting an initial grip on heavy paper, after which it prints fine (except on the edge of the paper, since it isn't pulled into the machine fast enough).  Anyhow, after I click the Print button on the screen, I grab the end of the paper and push it with my hands as hard as I can while I wait for the rollers to grasp it and pull it out of my reach.  The result is not exactly centered, but the image is good enough that I can trim it to where I want it.

HP Recommended

Sure. Do get back to us in the future for further assistance.

Have a nice day!:)

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.