Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Pagewide 577dw
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Printing 500 envelopes.  33 misprints in the middle of the run.  No errors messages.  sample of the issue, part of the image is missing.

New Page Wide 577dw.  1.5 months old.  It is the second one I have owned.

HP ink

Windows 7 -64

Postscript printer driver

Envelope Size number 10

Standard number 10 size selected in the printer driver

Is happening randomly. No pattern.  Will run 30-50 without issue, then one or more bad prints.  Loading 5  at a time in the bye pass tray.  Can happen as first print out, or 3rd envelope in stack of 5. 

Not really happening with other sizes or types  of paper.  But then I purchased the printer to print envelopes mainly.   Have not used this new printer much for anything but envelopes.

Any suggestions on why this is happening and what can be done to prevent it from happening.  I really prefer the Postcript driver over the PCL driver.  I am going to try the PCL driver but I expect the problem will remain.

sample attachedgood print next to bad printgood print next to bad print

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HP support engineer replaced the printer.  The intermittent problem stumped the support engineer and his back office experts.  We were able to have the issue happen with the PCL6 Driver, The Universal Postscript Driver, and direct USB printing of the PDF. Since I use this printer like a printing press, having an intermittant fault on 5-6 percent of prints was not acceptable.

Kudos to HP standing behind the product.  Also thank you to 8lives for attempting to help me.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Check the firmware, latest is 1908C.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

I checked the firmware on the printer status report

Firmware Version:  MAHDWOPP1N001.1908C.00.00

So I think it is up to date.  I also think it is something else,  More organic to the machine.  I just ran an additional 500 envelopes same image but used the PCL6 driver and had the same issue. So it is not working reliably on either postscript or PCL6.

I thank you for your response

HP Recommended

Do you have the same problem if you use a different image?

What program are you using?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

The program which sent the image is AcrobatDC professional full version 2019.  The image that is cutting off is a placed eps.  The layout was done in Indesign cc 2019.  I used Pitstop to outline the fonts, and adjust the colors to be CMYK from lab color definition of the PDF file after creation. The problem is not the image.  only  30 of the first 500 prints were bad. 39 of the second 500 were bad.

It has to be the printer doing something flakey.  The image mostly cuts off as I de-picked in my sample.  Sometimes it cuts off less, Just the tops of the letters.  the least often it cuts off more.  If it were the image file the prints should be always screwed up.  They are not.  Just 6-8 percent.

I do not have a choice in changing the image file.  My personal un technically informed opinion is there is a problem with a logic board that controls the print heads.  It is a new printer only a month old.

HP Recommended

If you have Word can you print test envelopes?

HP Recommended

Do not have Word.  Rarely need it.  Do not like it because it does not do CMYK color definitions and makes lower quality PDF files.

HP Recommended

Just looking for a way to test if the problem might not be software related.

HP Recommended

Just ran 1500 more envelopes.  The problem still happens.  I believe that the problem is miss feed related.

HP Recommended

Can you try a different brand of envelope?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.