Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP8740 All in One Printer is only 2 weeks old.

It prints fine on A4 plain paper but not on A4 High Glossy Paper.

When I add a sheet of glossy paper to tray 1, I am asked to change the paper type, this is changed to 'HP Brochure Glossy 180g' nothing else fits the bill.

I also change the 'Printer Properties' and select the same paper quality on my desk top PC before pressing print.

The first attempt printed a partial image, the second attempt produced a blank sheet with black ink roller marks on the reverse of the paper. Now just blank sheets are produced with black ink roller marks on the reverse.

Not sure how to proceed.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

You can select HP Advanced Photo papers.

The printer do allow printing on Photo papers, have tried it on HP Photo papers (not other brands)

Do take note that the driver doesn't have support for printing borderless 4x6 photos, but they do support Edge to Edge Photo printing for Letter and A4 size.

You need to Install the Officejet Pro 8720 print driver and used it if 4x6 borderless photos are needed.

Here's some videos if you need help to install the OJP 8720 driver and borderless printing on the 8730/40:

HP Officejet Pro 8730/8740: Edge to Edge A4 borderless photo printing

HP Officejet Pro 8730/8740 : Print Borderless photos

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Hello greenturtle

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm sorry I should have said in my first message that 'HP Advanced Photo papers' setting doesnt work either.

This new HP 8740 has replaced my old HP 8500A series and I didnt have this sort of proble when trying to print on photo paper. I have again tried this morning after shutting down and using the HP Advanced Photo setting and again this time it produced a blank glossy page, It then attempts to print on the next sheet of plain A4 sheet. I then cancelled the printing as im just wasting ink.

Are you saying this printer can not use any other brand of glossy photo paper than hp?

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi @specialk1

The printer is tested with a wide range of media,  it should work with most, but there could be some that doesn't work as well (like in your case).

Any chance that you can try other media?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi

Thats my next job.

My old HP 8500A worked fine on a wide range of media so I assumed this would be the case with the new HP8740

Thanks again for your comments

HP Recommended

Just a quick update on our problems with being unable to print on glossy photo paper.

After checking that all sofware and firmware updates have been installed, HP have suggested that a replacement printer is required.

Our old HP printer 8500A was a great machine without to many problems but our workload has increased so we are hoping the new HP8740 (replacement) proves to be as good.

Thanks for the helpful comments.

HP Recommended

Hi @specialk1

Thanks for getting back on the path forward.

Hope that the new printer would resolve your issue.

It's a great printer, you should try the duplex printing, it's super fast!  Moreover, the ADF scanner is also great as it scans both sides of a 2-sided document in one pass!

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi greenturtle

Your comments and suggestions have been a great help.

The HP 8740 seems a great machine and we are just getting to grips with the special functions.

It seems so drastic to change the printer after just 2 weeks, especially when its performing so well in all area's apart from the glossy media photo paper.

We are more annoyed at having to set up again from scratch.

Everything is connected wirelessly to the printer iPad, smartphones, laptop etc and working fine.

I now I need to start over and hope its sorted.

Thanks again for your support.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.