Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy :Photo 7134
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have had endless problems with colour printing. I moved the printer's location and turned off the heating in the room,  but it made no difference. The printer was then replaced under warranty but this one has the same problem.  If I do not print in colour for more than   2 days max   the colour cartridge does not work without my  taking it out and cleaning the contacts.  This is cannot be right.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Hopeful2020

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Are you able to copy in color? Did you try another ink cartridge?

Please try the steps from here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-photo-7100-all-in-one-printer-series/9073119/model/1649...

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Betty0610

I have done all this with my previous printer and it makes no difference.  If I clean the colour cartridge with distilled water and perform Clean Cartridges then it will work for that day, both  printing and copying.  If I don't then use colour for a day or two it all dries  up again.  Changing the cartridge makes no difference - it's fine for the first day, possibly two, and then the problem recurs.  I can't believe that two successive printers are faulty.  Is it a design fault, I wonder?

Before I bought this one, my printer was a HP Photosmart with separate colour  cartridges.  I had it for years without any problems.  Is the problem with  these all-in-one  colour cartridges?

HP Recommended

I understand. I shall escalate this case for you. Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem as Hopeful2020.  Works in colour for a day or two then no colour at all.  I have reinstalled software a number of times and cleaned the printer head with distilled water.

I have just done it all again and run the clean printhead option three times, and while black prints perfectly, colour which was barely there after the first clean has got worse and now only a little yellow is showing!

What do you suggest I do?

HP Recommended

Hello Berrye

Sorry to hear of your problems but I'm glad it's not just me!  I have kept on to HP.  Betty - see earlier post  - escalated this for me and I'm waiting for delivery of yet another replacement.  They have refused to give me a refund because I bought it from John Lewis and they won't exchange for a different model.

If this replacement doesn't work then I'll ask John Lewis if they can get me at least a partial refund.

Good luck - don't give up

HP Recommended

Thanks, Hopeful2020.  I will keep at it as I can't print anything in colour and I don't think I get any Instant Ink colour cartridge until the printer says I need it, which as I can't use it is a "catch 22" situation.

I bought from Currys PC World, and I think it's still in warranty - if I can find the receipt!

HP Recommended

Hi Berrye

If you can find the  receipt or your bank/credit card statement then I'd feel inclined to contact Currys PC world, tell them your story and insist that the printer isn't 'fit for purpose'. Give them chapter and verse of exactly what you've done and when, if you can.

HP Recommended

Good idea, as I can download the appropriate month's details.  My problem is that I am in the very vulnerable group, so can't leave home to go and argue my case and will still be locked down for a very long time.

I will need to find a really tough friend who can stand in me!

HP Recommended

Most companies are operating just on the phone at the moment, though you might find that Currys want to  look at the printer.  It's a difficult one.  Why don't you try the phone and explain the situation?  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.