Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 7640 e-All-in-One-Prin
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have just purchased this new printer.  Since this printer is replacing a Photosmart printer that stopped working, I first removed all the software and applications from all my PCs before installing the new printer.

Installed following all steps, etc.  When to one of my PCs (windows 10) to activate.  It seems to work but I couldn't successfully download all the applications.  For instance, when it got to the step of selecting the method of how it is connected (via ethernet cable to a router), the software got into an infinite loop.  It kept on telling me there was an error and the printer was not connected to the router.  There was no way to cancel the operationat all!  it just went back to the previous screens.

Nevertheless, I can actually print from that computer (but do not have access to the equivalent of the HP Solution Center for scanning, etc).

Went to my iMac and downloaded software and drivers and it installed easily, no problems at all.

Went to another PC (Windows 10) to install software and drivers, and got the same error on the ethernet connection.

I fixed the IP address (like I did the previous printer).  Printing is possible but scanning and the full solution Ilike the HP Solution Center of my old Photosmart) is not working on the windows machines.  

No idea what to do next.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@RY_Neth

Thanks for replying. 🙂 Yes, that is correct. The printer is designed or programmed to work with any one connection type. Either an ethernet or wireless connection will work. Cheers!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello, @RY_Neth – Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel.

I understand you are having issues while installing the printer on your Windows 10 PC. I would suggest your try the following instructions to install the same:

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer and computer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Photosmart and Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click on http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/en7640/EN7640__Full_WebPack_1092.exe to download and install the printer drivers.
  • In the connection type windows select wireless and follow the on-screen instructions.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi @Dvortex,

I want to use this printer via ethernet cable connected to a router and NOT  wireless.  In any event, when I do select wireless, it asks me about the status of the wireless in the printer.  Well, since I connected the ethernet cable, it does not show anything on it.

Is there a way that I can use this printer in both ways:

1) via ethernet cable to the router for my desktops AND

2) wireless for iPads and androids?

In any case, I did follow instructions and link and went to Program files to delete all HP software (I had already done that by unistalliung, but it seems it still leaves things behind) and follow your instructions (with the exception that I did not select wireless, but the ethernet connection) and this time it did work successfully.

I will proceed withg all the other desktops and would appreciate if you could tell me whether it could be used both ways. (question above).

Thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

@RY_Neth

You are welcome. 🙂 I'm glad to know that the ethernet connection worked for the printer. I would like to inform you that the printer can either be used via ethernet or wireless at any given point of time. Because if we try to use it both ways then there could be an IP address conflict. Feel free to let us know if you have any questions. Cheers!

HP Recommended

Hi @MKazi,

I understand the conflict with the IP address.  That is why I fixed the IP address of the printer on the ethernet connection.  I set it also outside the range of the IP addresses that my router could give, guaranteeing that I will not have a conflict.

I imagine that if it could be used in both ways at the same time, it would need two different IP addresses, right?  just like laptops work when you have the Wi-Fi on but also connected by ethernet.  

But from your answer above, it seems that the printer has been set to be either ethernet XOR wireless, correct?

HP Recommended

@RY_Neth

Thanks for replying. 🙂 Yes, that is correct. The printer is designed or programmed to work with any one connection type. Either an ethernet or wireless connection will work. Cheers!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.