Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet Pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have just installed the subject printer.  It is connected and works fine.  I have not located the program for the PC to

control the printer.  For example, how do I set up to determine the size or density of a scan.   I replaced another HP

printer and had a small program that worked well.  I might have it with the software I downloaded but it is not on my

desktop.   Thanks... 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@jlc27 

Try consider:

• Uninstall the existing printer software from Programs and Features
  • Restart the computer and log in
  • Open Category Software and Drivers in your printer Support Website
  • Download-and-Save the Full Feature Software or HP Easy Start Printer Setup for your Operating System version.
  • Navigate to the folder in which you saved the software installation package (likely Downloads)
  • Right-Click on the downloaded package and "Run as Administrator" to start the installation

NOTE

1. If you use the EasyStart method, select the Full Feature Software (full driver) when the option is presented.
  • After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

** Optional - Video help **

NOTE:  Videos may be found in one or more locations (depending on printer / software / version)

Open the printer Software and Drivers page >

Scroll down and select Related Videos > Click View All >

Find and view the relevant video

AND / OR

** Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer” **

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

Open the printer Website Support Homepage >

Scroll down and select Video Tutorials > Click View All >

Find and view the relevant video

AND / OR

HP Collection of “how-to” videos

HP Video Gallery

• Use Categories and the search window to narrow the search. 

For example,

Category Printers and All-in-Ones > Install, Setup, Drivers

• Select your Video

References

Open and Read:  User Guide

Category How to > Select Topic:  Print > Select Subtopic:  Instructions & Settings

Category How to> Select Topic:  Software and Apps

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.