Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hpenvy 5055

I recently replace the black in cartridge with another hp 65xl cartridge and have printed a total of 6 pages.  The last day it worked I was able to print 2 pages but when I went back into print more I received a protected cartridge message and am now unable to print anything in black.  The cartridge is new and would love to be able to use the rest of the ink in it.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.   

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Kiev3

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Where do you see this error message?

Please try this on a Windows computer:

• Click on the “start” button on your computer, and then click “Devices and Printers”
  • Find your HP printer and double-click it to open the “Settings” page.
  • Click the text for “Estimated Ink Levels” under the heading of “Shopping Resources”. This will open the HP Toolbox window.
  • Click the tab for “Cartridge Protection”
  • Click the radio button next to “Disable HP Cartridge Protection”.
  • Click the “Save Setting” button to save your new setting. Then, close the window.
  • You might need to remove and re-install the cartridge for it to be recognized properly.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The location given does not exist. I go to Start> Devices and Printers> Double click my printer> The window it opens does not contain any Shopping Resources or Estimated Ink Levels.  None of the options in that window take me where the desired item can be found. So-  I'm lost.   When I install any new cartridge, I get a message that it can't authenticate because access to the internet is not possible at this time. WEll my internet works fine for browsers, email, TV streaming, and anything else so why can't the printer use it if everything else can.

HP Recommended

We'll have to perform a reset on the Printer for this. I have sent you a private message, for more details that cannot be shared in a public post.

Please do check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Betty0610 told me to check my inbox on the forums page for a private answer.I can't find it.The bell icon has a blue #1 but

takes me to this location.  I did a search for forums and a search for inbox, that doesn't help. The "Support" TAB does not contain a forums link.  The dropdown for my Log-in name has no link to it.   Where is my inbox???

HP Recommended

@Papashome1

In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.