Mils1
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Protected cartridges

Envy 4524
iOS

Hello, I am looking for some help with my parents printer. Originally they had HP instant ink, but this was cancelled some time ago. They have purchased new HP ink cartridges, but an error of ‘protected cartridge can only be used in the printer that initially used it and must be replaced’. 
these are new cartridges just out of box. My parents have windows operating system and I have brought the printer home to see if I can get it working and have IOS. My parents are on a limited income and can not afford to be buying new cartridges to get this error. 
Any help in rectifying it would be gratefully received 

Tags (2)
1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
6,485 6,478 426 526
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Protected cartridges

Hi @Mils1

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

It appears the cartridges you purchased had been installed previously in a different printer that had "Cartridge protection" enabled (which is the default).  Cartridges that have been put in a printer with cartridge protection enabled will be marked with the serial number of the printer they are installed in and will subsequently only work in that printer.

As these ink cartridges are brand new out of the box, I would suggest you contact our HP Support team for Service Options as it could be a possible hardware issue:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation