Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 4630
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Got a message to replace my black ink.  I replaced it with a new ink cartridge and the message is still there.  

I have taken the ink out and put back in many times thinking it may have been put in wrong.  That did not work.

I have turned off the printer, when I turned it back on the message was still there

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hey there! @mikeanderson, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand you have ink cartridge issues with your printer.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Does the issue persist when you put the old ink cartridge back to your printer?

Are you using HP genuine ink cartridges or refilled ink cartridges?

As you mentioned after installing a new ink cartridge you are getting an error ink cartridge needs to be replaced.

Replace low or empty ink cartridges on your printer.

Try updating the printer firmware and check if it helps.

Update the printer firmware using this link: https://hp.care/2qKADWq

Reset the printer

Please try few steps recommended below.

Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
Wait at least 60 seconds.
Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
   NOTE:
HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.
If these steps resolved the issue, you do not need to continue troubleshooting.

Also, Clean the electrical contacts on the ink cartrdiges.

Remove, inspect, and then reseat the cartridges

Follow these steps to make sure that the cartridges are inserted correctly.

1. Press the Power button to turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2. Locate the slots on the left and right sides of the printer.

Figure : Locate the slots on the sides of the printer

Image: Locate the slots on the sides of the printer.
  3. Slide your fingers into the two slots, and then gently lift up to open the cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the cartridge access area. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before you continue.

Figure : Open the cartridge access door

Image: Open the cartridge access door.
  4. To release the cartridge, lift the lid on the cartridge slot, and then gently push the lid back until it stops.

5. Pull up on the cartridge to remove it from the slot.

Figure : Remove the cartridge

1. Lift the lid

2. Gently push the lid back

3. Pull up on the cartridge

CAUTION:

Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or the ink nozzles. Touching these parts can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.

Figure : Do not touch the contacts or nozzle

Image:  Do not touch the contacts or nozzle.
  6. Remove any protective tape that still might be on the nozzles.

Figure : Remove any protective tape on the nozzles

Image:  Remove any protective tape on the nozzles.

CAUTION:

Do not try to remove the copper-colored electrical strip.

7. Hold the cartridge at a slight upward angle with the cartridge contacts facing the rear of the printer, slide the cartridge into the empty slot, and then close the lid on the cartridge slot to secure the cartridge in place.

NOTE:

Insert the color cartridge in the slot on the left. Insert the black cartridge in the slot on the right.

Figure : Insert the cartridge

1. Insert the cartridge

2. Close the lid

3. The color cartridge is on the left, and the black cartridge is on the right

8. Repeat the previous steps to remove and then reseat the other cartridge.

9. Close the cartridge access door.

Figure : Close the cartridge access door

Image: Close the cartridge access door.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot ink cartridge issues with your printer. Link: https://hp.care/2qIyJFK

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. Try checking with a different ink cartridge.

Or please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did not change anything before it stopped working.  I was printing and then the message came up.  I opened a new ink and put it in like I have many times.

I tried what was sugested and it did not work.

I do not have another ink cartridge to try.

I am useing HP ink as I am on the monthly plan.

HP Recommended

@MikeAndersonWed

It looks like you were interacting with MrRobot, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. I'm KrazyToad & I'm at your service. 

I understand that you are using Instant Ink Cartridges. Is the issue only with the Black cartridge?

I will send you a Private Message, please reply back with your Instant Ink Account Number or Email Address and I'll look into it.

Please check your private message icon in the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes it is the black cartridge

HP Recommended

Waiting for your private message

thank you

HP Recommended

@mikeanderson, Thanks for writing back to us.

Please share us few details in a private message, so I can check the account details and initiate an order to ship you a set of replacement ink cartridge.

Printer Model Name

Serial Number of the printer

Instant ink Email Address

Instant Ink Account Number

Address to ship the cartridge

Do you need black or color ink cartridges?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I don't feel comfortable putting this info out on a forum.  How else can I get you the info.

Thank you

HP Recommended

@mikeanderson, Thanks for your quick response and time.

You can private message me so only I will able to view your message.

If you are comfortable with sharing these details. I would suggest you contact HP phone support and get assistance.

Link to contact HP.

Hope this answers your query!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried everything you said even bought new ink and its still saying The Following ink cartridges need to be replaced

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.