Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Officejet 2620.  Since the Apple Catalina 10.15 OS release I can no print at all.  

The latest driver update did not fix the problem.  My understanding is that HP did not and will not update many of the drivers for older printers.  Can you provide an HP website that indicates which ones have been updated and where to find the updated Catalina 10.a5 compatible drivers?

Thanks!!!!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@DJB-CH, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'd like to know the following-

Is there any error message when you try to print?

How is the printer connected to the computer?

Is there any antivirus/security software installed on the computer?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi TEJ1602, 

- The message I get in the print queue is "Printing - Waiting for printer to become available.   This is the same if I try to print directly to the printer or via HP Smart.  

- I am printing via a USB cable.  My Officejet 2620 has no wireless connection.

- I have never installed any anti-virus software on my MacBook Pro.  

- My MacBook Pro is currently using OS 10.15 Catalina.  When I installed this upgrade my printing and scanning issue began.

Thanks for your help

HP Recommended

@DJB-CH, thank you for the information.

Make sure the cable is directly connected between the MAC and the printer.

The use of a USB hub is not recommended. Also, make sure the cable is connected to a USB 2.0 port on your MAC.

• Check if the printer is getting recognized by your MAC:
  1. From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac.
  2. Click System Report.
  3. Under the Hardware heading on the left side of the System Information window, click USB.

USB 3 devices appear under USB 3.0 Bus, and USB 2 devices appear under USB 2.0 Bus. Try connecting the printer to a different post and check if the issue persists.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, check for any software updates on MAC

Click here to know how.

Keep me posted. 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar0307,

I have answered all your questions in a previous post...I appreciate your help, you do not ask me the same questions over and over.

To answer again:

1. My MacBook Pro  is connected to my printer with a USB cable...the printer and computer recognise each other and I can scan a document using HPSmart from the feeder but not from the glass scanner bed.

2. You say the use of a USB hub is not recommended...if this is true then tell me what the alternative is.  Please remember my Officejet 2620 printer has no wireless capabilities, so I believe the USB cable is the only way for my computer to communicate with my printer.

3. I only have a USB Bus 2.0 and no USB 3.0 Bus.  I have tried moving the USB cable between the two USB ports on my MacBook and I get the same result...the printer does not print and the print job is in the print queue with the message "Printer - waiting for the printer to become available"

4. The printer firmware is up to date...there was an update on 18-Dec-2019 that I installed on 19-Dec-2019...this was the HPSmart software.   I find no new print drivers anywhere for my printer on the HP website.

5. Again, I believe my issue is related to the change by Apple from 32-bit to 64-bit standards in Mac OS 10.15 / Catalina.  Many other posts on the HP site and other places in the internet have similar issues as I do.  

Again, thanks for you help...if you are not qualified to try to fix this problem, that is OK, just please tell me so and quit responding to my posts.

HP Recommended

@DJB-CH, thank you for the detailed information.

I have read your previous posts and I have not asked you any repeated questions in my previous post. A USB hub is a device that expands a single Universal Serial Bus (USBport into several other USB ports. This may not supply enough power to the printer and hence is not recommended.

As this printer does not support AirPrint, use HP Easy Start to install the printer on the MAC.

Click here to download the driver. Try printing and Scanning.

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.