Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have much the same problem with a 78XL cartridge bought from Amazon on 1 Aug 19.  It has never worked properly but now the cyan just prints a couple of lines using the 'print test page'.  The other two colors print properly.  I have printed probably 50-75 email pages since the cartridge was new.  Cartridge expiration date 20210214.  A test page is available.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@AMMO463

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

To help you with this, let us know the Printer you have.

Thanks 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The printer is a DeskJet 990Cse.  After the cartridge in question failed I bought a replacement that works perfectly.

HP Recommended

I'm glad to hear that. Do get back to us in the future for further assistance.

Have a nice day!:)

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That is not the problem.  I now have a $98 ink cartridge that does not work and is still under warranty.  What is HP going to do about that???

Once again the XL78 cartridge was bought on 01 Aug 2019

Printed about 50-75 emails since bought

The expiration date is 20211014

Both the red and yellow print OK

The CYAN prints narrow lines

A print test page is available

Please reply with a solution from HP.

HP Recommended

Bump to @Betty0610

HP Recommended

Betty0610 - "Have a nice day" is not a solution to the problem.

Please reply with a real solution to the BAD 78XL cartridge - replacement would be nice.

HP Recommended

@AMMO463 If you've got a replacement cartridge that fixed the issue, that confirms the other cartridge was faulty, if your device is under warranty, you could have simply contacted HP and they could have gotten you replacement cartridges, also, if you've got an instant Ink subscription, the cartridges from HP would be free of charge, if you've already paid for something at the local store, there's nothing we can do about that, if you know your printer is under warranty, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.