Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have a B110a which came up with an ink problem after changing a cartridge. A suggestion was to do a full reset which identified a carriage problem. So I've replaced the carriage but as the printer is a few years old and not the original setup cartridges I'm stuck with the message " Please use the setup cartridges".

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Pandora3, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Follow the troubleshooting steps from this document HP Ink Cartridges - 'Use SETUP Cartridges' Error.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for responding to my plight . Perhaps the full story may help others.

I was replacing the black ink cartridge which had run out of ink. After I had closed the lid the panel showed "ink problem". Reseated, cleaned as per the document you have sent the link for but no change. After scouring the internet found the following link 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHs_4gX6ovs

So I took the "full reset" option and the establishment tests stopped with "print head missing" so I ordered one off ebay from China. Fitted the print head and the establishment tests stopped demanding the setup cartridges. This was the time I contacted you. Looking at the link I should have ordered a print head with setup cartridges. I didn't. 

With no other apparent options I did a "full reset" again as per the youtube link. The establishment tests grumbled about the cartridges but did not hang up and I was able to continue and eventually  they finished and the printer is now working again!

HP Recommended

@Pandora3

I am glad everything is up and running.

Do get back to us in the future for any further assistance.

Thanks 🙂

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Lenka1, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Follow the troubleshooting steps from this document HP Ink Cartridges - 'Use SETUP Cartridges' Error.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

hi, thanks but it didn’t help. The document says I cannot use it without the setup cartridges is that true? I tried to reset the printer, but that didn’t help...

HP Recommended

@Lenka1

May I have the exact model name of the product? Refer to this document for steps to find the product details. Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc. 

Is it a new printer or was it working fine before?

Did you make any changes to the printer?

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It is OfficeJet Pro 6978. 

It was working fine before. Then it was in storage for about a year. I didn't do any changes to it whatsoever. 

HP Recommended

@Lenka1

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates.

For more information, go to Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.

If the issue persists, we can try and perform a reset on the printer. 

The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may brick the device. 
I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer. 

In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link

Hope this helps!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.