Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I've uninstalled and reinstalled HP Smart too.  It worked at the time but the next day when I opened HP Smart it asked for the Custom password again and prevents me from going further.  I am already logged into HP Smart.  It does not accept my community password for the Custom Password.  I don't have one.  Until very recently I've never been asked for one.  Anyone have any ideas how to deal with this?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@BrianP3 

Edits - Add clarification - App Login

Not sure, though I would guess the application has again been updated and it impacted the way the HP Smart for Windows application is interacting with other software.

I have not see the problem you describe.

The following is complete conjecture - I have no access to the application internals and I am simply guessing...

Discussion

At this writing, HP Smart (as installed on my workstations is version 115.1.150.0

It was updated on my workstation 20-May-2020

The application does require - and must have access to - a number of actions, software, and permissions on your system.  This is normal behavior; much of what is installed on your computer is inter-connected and inter-dependent.

First, HP Smart requires that you log into your HP Smart / HP Connected account.  Lacking that, try your HP Account.

Example

HP_Smart_W10_Start_Screen_1HP_Smart_W10_Start_Screen_1

What to do?

Open the HP Smart for Windows Application

Log out of the application

Restart the computer and log in

Open HP Smart for Windows

===========================================================================

More...

In the case of the HP Smart Applications, the permissions include the "usual" system level permissions to the actual File System (Operating System) plus perhaps permissions that would require that you be logged into various seemingly unrelated software.

Example (Pulled from the Application information in Windows Store):

HP_Smart_W10_App_Permission_1HP_Smart_W10_App_Permission_1

It is possible that the application is actually unhappy about a separate "login", that is, a software to which HP Smart did have permission (as required) but can no longer access.

Note the mention of the "internet connection" - this might explain why restarting Web Services might sometimes impact the application.  Then, too, if the files that you use for printing are located on a remote network (for example, a Network Attached Storage (NAS)), you must be logged into that device and the mount point (folders) must be accessible.  True for OneDrive, too, since access to that location requires that you be logged into your Microsoft Account.

IF the problem is a permission issue, the HP Smart Application is not perhaps not trained to correctly handle the situation and simply throws out the closest error it can find - that assumes the error is actually coming from within the HP Smart App (I cannot confirm - I've not seen the issue you describe).

What to do?

• Make sure you are logged into your other "apps" and software.

For example, check / log into relevant accounts:

OneDrive (Microsoft Account)

NAS - or other remote storage devices

iCloud (Apple Account)

More examples (list is not all inclusive):

• Make sure your Bluetooth is switch on and the permissions are correctly set
  • If something needs to be updated (Windows Updates), take care of that
  • Check to make sure your printer and your computer are happily connected to your local network - perhaps Restart everything as a means of "clearing the decks".

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for your advice.  Most of what you suggest I had already tried, and in the end I uninstalled HP Smart, switched everything off and then started again, installing HP Smart.  It worked.  BTW, during all of this time the printer was on line and connected to my wi-fi, and I could use it from my iPhone.  In the absence of any other explanation I am putting it down to an update to either HP Smart, Windows 10 or both, that upset the delicate balance of the universe temporarily. 

Now however, my iPhone won't talk to the printer, but the PC does!  There will be an explanation.......!

HP Recommended

@BrianP3 

Makes sense - anytime I have problems with just about anything of this type my first instinct is to remove it and start over.

Yes, both applications (windows and mobile) want you to log into the HP Smart Application with your HP Account credentials.

Neither of these apps should be asking for other passwords unless your device has lost track of something important (wireless password to the network, email password, Cloud destination password, device login password (logged in to phone, PC, tablet), etc).  One of the insurmountable "lost password" events is the loss of the actual password to / on the printer - most people do not use this function (for good reason) and the symptoms are (usually) slightly different.

In general, then, the HP Smart Mobile may respond to the same treatment:  remove and reinstall the application.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.