Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Thank you @Bob_Headrick,

I followed all the steps and when I got to selecting PSC 1200 it said that no driver available. What do you think the problem is?

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Alina4 wrote:

Thank you @Bob_Headrick,

I followed all the steps and when I got to selecting PSC 1200 it said that no driver available. What do you think the problem is?

Thank you.

Please give some more details. What operating system?  What steps have you tried - are you using the procedure in the document here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01796879?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much Bob for getting back to me. It is greatly appreciated.

I have Windows 10. I got a new computer as well and this is when the problem started. I was able to print before. My husband has the driver in his computer but I guess it cannot be transferred, can it?

Yes, I followed the steps from the document you have included. Me and my husband have spent long time trying to fix the printer problem.

BTW, In Step 1 the “Save the changes” option in Device Installation Settings was greyed out for me.

When I called Customer Support they told me that they do not have the driver any more since the printer is obsolete. I do not think that it is the case, is it?

Best regards,

Alina

HP Recommended

Hi Bob,

I hope to hear from you. Thank you.

HP Recommended

[Sorry for the delay in getting back to you].

The Windows 10 drivers for the PSC 1210 are available from the Microsoft Catalog Site here:http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=HP%20PSC%201200 There are a number of drivers listed, the one you want for Windows 10 x64 would be the one 11.6Mb in size. Click the Download link to the right for this file.  This will open a new window, click on the Cab file link which will download the file.  Once the file is downloaded open file explorer and navigate to the Download folder.  Double-Click on the cab file you just downloaded, then select Extract.  It may be best at this point to put the results in a new directory like "psc".

Go to Control Panel, Devices and Printers, Add a printer.  Click "The printer I want isn't listed", Add a local printer with manual settings, Next, Use an existing port, LPT1: (Printer port)  [This is a placeholder, we will change it later], Next, Have Disk, Browse, navigate to the psc folder where you extracted the files.  Double-Click on the prnhp001.inf file, OK.  Scroll down the list and click the "HP psc 1200 series", Next, [At this point the dialog may ask which version you want to use, if so select "Replace the current driver", Next], Next, Next, Finish.  At this point the driver should be installed and the printer will show up in Devices and Printers.  Plug in the USB cable to the PC and the PSC 1210.  In the Devices and Printers folder right click on the PSC 1200 series, Printer Properties, Ports, select the DOT4 port*, OK, Apply.

At this point things should be set up, you can print a test page.

* If this port does not show up plug the printer back into the other computer, go to the Devices and Printers folder there, right click on the PSC 1200, Printer Properties, Ports and find the proper port.

Alternately, you could share the printer from the other computer.  Share it with a name like \\othercompter\psc1200  (replace "othercomputer" with the actual name of the other computer), then on the new computer go to the devices and printers folder, right click on the psc 1200, Printer Properties, Ports, Add Port, Local [even though it is not local...], New Port, \\othercomputer\psc1200, OK, Apply, OK.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

@Alina4  - did you get the driver installed OK?  If not please post back with details.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.