Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I tried doing the above and my HP Officejet 3833 printer will still not print in color from my laptop.  I did have a slight problem after the run command direction.  It would not allow me to delete the one driver.  I was given the message that it was in use and could not be deleted.  So I restarted computer and tried to delete.  Same message.  Could this be my issue?  I reinstalled the full package but still printing only in grayscale. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@sirish1

Please try creating a new user account -

1. Tap the Windows icon.
2. Select Settings.
3. Tap Accounts.
4. Select Family & other users.
5. Tap "Add someone else to this PC."
6. Select "I don't have this person's sign-in information."
7. Select "Add a user without a Microsoft account."
8. Enter a username, type the account's password twice, enter a clue and select Next.
9. Tap the Windows icon.
10. Select the User icon at the upper left corner of the Start menu.
11. Select the new user. You'll then sign into your account with your password from step 8.

and then install the printer driver.

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi @sirish1

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Appreciate you trying the steps. Don't worry, I'd be happy to help. 

I'd suggest you try restarting the print spooler - 

1. Turn off the printer using the power button.
2. Search Windows for run, and click the Run Windows application in the list of results.
3. Type services.msc in the Run window, and then press Enter on the keyboard.
The Services menu opens.
4. Right-click Print Spooler and select Stop.
5. After the service has been stopped, close the service window and use Windows Explorer to browse to C:\Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS.
6. Delete all files inside the PRINTERS folder.
7. Restart your computer.
8. Turn on your printer.

Try the remaining steps to uninstall and re-install the driver. 

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Tried this and it is still printing in black and white. 

HP Recommended

@sirish1

Thanks for replying. 

1) May I have the exact model name of the printer? Refer to this document for steps to find the product details. Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

2) Are you experiencing this issue while making a copy as well? 

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Officejet 3833

No issues if I copy in color. 

HP Recommended

@sirish1

Try adding a built-in driver - HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver

If the issue still persists, try performing a system file checker -

1) Select Start, and in the search box, enter Command Prompt. Press and hold (or right-click) Command Prompt (Desktop app) from the search results and select Run as administrator.
2) Enter DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (note the spaces before each "/").
3) Enter sfc /scannow (note the space between "sfc" and "/").

Keep me posted. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Tried both.  Still no luck.  But I now have 2 printers as choices.  Tried both.  No color.

I did find where I could install just the driver in Windows but it has the 3830 series with two versions. 
Since I don't know the difference, I could not try that. 

HP Recommended

@sirish1

Please try creating a new user account -

1. Tap the Windows icon.
2. Select Settings.
3. Tap Accounts.
4. Select Family & other users.
5. Tap "Add someone else to this PC."
6. Select "I don't have this person's sign-in information."
7. Select "Add a user without a Microsoft account."
8. Enter a username, type the account's password twice, enter a clue and select Next.
9. Tap the Windows icon.
10. Select the User icon at the upper left corner of the Start menu.
11. Select the new user. You'll then sign into your account with your password from step 8.

and then install the printer driver.

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Wow!   Still not the solution.  So frustrating after hours trying to resolve this.

HP Recommended

@sirish1

Did you try creating a new user account? 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.