Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Unknown

I was at a client's yesterday evening. Her new officjet pro 6978 had arrived and I was setting it up for her.

So, literally everything was brand new. I had connected it to her wifi and gone through all the setup procedures only to have it only show up blue & red on the alignment page after having installed the ink.

I'd been through the process outlined here, removed & reset, I'd had it clean the cartridges and even attempted to do the alignment process 3 or 4 more times.

But, whether using internal functions, trying to copy using only the printer or even printing test images from Windows, it would print the cymk but, nothing ever in black.

I even removed the black and touched a cotton swab to the screen covering the printer's ink intake .. it did come back with black ink on it so, I know ink is getting at least that far and it's not an issue of no black ink to supply to the printer.

Of course, now it's the day before July 4th and she's got her new printer, unable to use it.  Her prior officejet had finally gone circuit-board lobotomy, hence the new one.  Do you have any other advice that might get her brand new device working.?  Other than that, it's going to be a return/replace with ..Amazon, I think.

Without something to try that might get this working.. there's little point in me going back over and just spending time re-doing all the same things I'd done yesterday evening.  Drivers, etc. were installed by the HP Support Assistant I'd already installed on her system. ..just in case that ever makes any difference.

Thanks for any helpful insights you may have about this issue.

~Myr

.end.trans.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Myhrddin,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Have you tried to print the Print quality diagnostics report from the printer? Or What happens when you try to make a copy from the printer?

Let's try these steps here: 

Let's try to print the print quality diagnostic report from the printer. 

1. Load plain white paper in the input tray.

2. From the printer control panel, open the Setup  menu.

3. Open the Reports or Tools menu.

4. Touch Print Quality Report.

Evaluate the report for any defects. 

• If there are defects found, try the steps mentioned in this document

Alternatively, you can try to check if the old ink cartridges work. 

You may try to follow the steps suggested in this document to clean the ink cartridge contact - HP OfficeJet 6900 Printers - Ink Cartridge Errors

Let me know how it goes for further assistance. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'll be going back to the client's tomorrow and will try and see what happens.

I'd already done most of that. There are no "old" inks since it's a brand new unit and doesn't use the same ink as her one that recently quit working with a printhead error itself.

Anyway, once I've redone and done the new bits I'll post back.

HP Recommended

@Myhrddin,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,
I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Thank you 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It was determined that the printer actually had a fault and it was replaced.

Thank you for your time & attention to this matter.  I appreciate it and know those you help do as well.

Thanks again.

~Myr

HP Recommended

Glad to know that you found a  new printer.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

Do visit our HP Forums and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😀

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.