Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Firstly, Thanks for the help posted above.  I am going to try to go through the process.  Luckily I have another printer because I am not holding my breath.  

Secondly,  Great job HP!  How to keep your customers happy.  All the cartridges I have came directly from the HP online store and now all my spare cartridges dont work because they are z20 and HP in their infinite wisdom has decided that because I live in the US my printer has to only use z10 cartridges.  Well, maybe they surprise me and get back to me with a "regionalization reset" but in any event I doubt my next printer will be an HP!

What if I had an important project, did not have that second printer and now I am at the mercy of the HP support desk to get back to me for a reset???

NOT HAPPY!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Fred114

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Fred114  If you are in the US and HP sent you some Z20 cartridges you need to contact them for proper Z10 replacements.  Having a region reset to Z20 would not work in the long run, since if you are in the US the cartridges you would find locally will be Z10.

Just to be clear, can you confirm your printer model? If you click on the ink droplet icon in the upper right of the printer's home page it will open a screen that shows ink levels.  Click on the K symbol which will bring up the list of supported cartridges.  Do the supported cartridges include the -Z10? If they do then your printer at some point had a (correct) Z10 cartridge installed and the printer is now locked to the Z10 (US/Canada) region. 

In this case you will need to have your Z20 cartridges replaced with Z10 cartridges.  

Please confirm if my assumptions are correct about the supported cartridges are correct.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi Bob,  Thanks for the come-back!  I am in the US.  And I ordered the cartridges online for delivery to US address.  I dont know when they started the zoning process but the spare cartridges I have were ordered some time ago and have no z10 or z20 designation. 

The color cartridges in my printer have no designation and seem to be fine.  I replaced the black cartridge and that is when I had an issue.  The cartridge I removed was a z20 but the new cartridge was a z10 and it wont work.  I am wondering if the cartridges with no designation will work in any printer?  Seems a pity to throw them out.

To your questions, printer is officejet 8600 & it seems it is locked on the z20 designation so I have to have it reset.  I have contacted HP support (that is a nightmare in and of itself) & I got an email back to say they had assigned a case number.  I will wait a little longer and then call the 800 number provided above.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Oh - and I followed your instructions on going to the printer's home page and checking the zone.  The color cartridges do not have a zone specified but the black cartridge shows z20.  The depleted black cartridge I removed was a z20.  The new one was a z10 which does not work.  

Still no response from HP support.  24 hours and counting...

HP Recommended

Hey Fred114,

Unless HP has recently changed its cartridge designations, ALL of your U.S. cartridges will have the z10 designation.  You need to ensure all of your cartridges have the z10 designation.  There is a chip imbedded in the cartridge which communicates with the printer as to what cartridges you are using.  I see in your post that you managed to obtain a case number.  Awesome, you now need to contact HP tech support and give them the case number.  HP will not contact you.  You must contact them with your case number.

Please ensure you have some time available to do the regional reset.  Refer to my original post.

Be patient and your printer will once again like your printer cartridges.

Da Capt

HP Recommended

The cartridges manufactured prior to 2017 were universal, they did not have a -Z marking and would work in any region.

Your printer has been locked to the Z20 region, you *will* need the regionalization reset to correct this so the proper Z10 cartridges will work.  The unmarked cartridges will also work, they are universal.

I will ask to have your case escalated.  It may take a few days (maybe more since the weekend is here....) for the request to work its way through the system.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

@Fred114

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

HP Recommended

Kevin from HP support reached out to me and reset my printer.   For anyone with a similar issue, one thing to note is that he needed me to insert the old z20 (wrong) cartridges in order to reset the printer to accept the US (z10) region cartridges.  Luckily I was able to find the old (depleted) cartridges. 

Concurrently with HP support resetting my printer I did get a message from HP support telling me my printer was out of warranty and there was therefore nothing they could do for me.  So the lesson here is to persevere and as Bob Headrick recommended above, focus on the issue being the cartridges not the printer.

Thanks everyone for your help!

HP Recommended

I am glad things got resolved.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Interesting... I just went through the same process, except they asked me to put in the new z10 cartridges before they did the region reset.  The process worked just the same.  I’m glad they were able to fix this, but rather irritated this was ever an issue in the first place.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.