Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have this same issue, but I keep going around in an endless loop on HPs support page and cannot find an actual 800 number to call to have someone reset.  where is it??

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

What country are you in?  

On the front panel of the printer go to the home screen and press the ink droplet icon at the top of the screen.  Next touch the black rectangle.  At this point a new window will open that says "installed cartridge" and "Supported cartridge".  What are the cartridge numbers listed?

HP introduced regionalized cartridges (Z10, Z20, Z30 and Z40) for the previously universal 950/951 cartridges in about January 2017.  The printer will "lock" itself to the first Zxx cartridge installed in the printer.  If you are in the US/Canada you will need Z10 cartridges, but the printer may have been locked to another region by accident.  In that case you will need to have HP perform a "Regionalization Reset".  You will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will also need to have a set of cartridges for the new region, once the reset is complete cartridges from the original region will no longer work.  HP's web page on the subject is here.

The regionalization reset is covered by cartridge warranty, see the document here for information.

I have seen many cases where folks had success in the regionalization reset process by contacting HP through the HP Facebook Support page here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I'm in the US.  I can't go to the home screen on the printer because it is stuck on the error message the cartridge is incompatible.  If I take out the cartridge that's causing the error, I get a video that plays over and over about how to put a cartridge in.  AND I do have a Z10 cartridge and that is all I have, and it is a genuine HP Cartridge.

HP Recommended

What was the empty cartridge you removed?  What are the -Z numbers for the other cartridges in the printer?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Uggh, they are Z20.  If I change them all to Z10's will that fix the problem?

HP Recommended

Since you are in the US you will need a complete set of Z10 cartridges, but to make the Z10 work you will also need to have the regionalization reset.  Do you have the depleted Z20 cartridge that you are replacing?  The support folks may need you to insert the old cartridge to do the reset.  After the reset you will need to install the -Z10 cartridges, the Z20 will not work after the reset.  The procedure typically will take 15-30 minutes to complete.  

I would suggest contacting HP support through their Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/HPSupport/  Send them a message, note that you have an Officejet Pro 8600 that is regionalized to the -Z20 region, you are in the US and need a REGIONALIZTION RESET performed to correct the region to -Z10. That seems to have the best success rate for printers no longer in warranty.   Alternately I can ask to have your case escalated, but since the escalation folks are US based and it is Friday afternoon it would likely be sometime next week before the issue would get resolved.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

I will contact the FB group.  I do not have a complete Z20 set, only a complete Z10. 

HP Recommended

The cartridges made before 2017 (which would have a marked "end of warranty" date of 2018 or earlier) are "universal" with no -Z markings.  Those can also be used during the reset process or after the reset is finished.  

On the front panel of the printer go to the home screen and press the ink droplet icon at the top of the screen.  Next touch the black rectangle.  At this point a new window will open that says "installed cartridge" and "Supported cartridge".  What are the cartridge numbers listed?  Alternately, if the printer is connected with wired or wireless networking you can do the following:  touch the wired or wireless connection icon at the top of the screen.  This will bring up a screen that shows the IP address of the printer.  Enter the IP address in your browser.  This will take you to the printers Embedded Web Server (EWS).

In the EWS select the Tools tab, then on the left side select the Product Information >> Ink Gauge link.  At the top of the resulting page will be a list of installed cartridges.  This will indicate the -Z number of any cartridges in the printer.  If the cartridges listed do not have a -Z designation they are universal.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.