Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I had the same issues that others have had.   I have been purchasing my cartridges and printer from Costco, and somehow installed a batch of the Z20 cartridges in my 8600...   The colored cartridges finally ran out, and I purchased the new 950XL and 951XL cartridges, and these are the US ones Z10.   Read all the notes about the regional reset, and reached out to tech support.   They tried to reset, but the tech support person said that it failed, and gave me the option of purchasing a new printer from them.   (I think there was another post that mentioned the same thing.)   The discount they offered me was the same price they were offering the printer for online - so no additional discount.   They would replace the ink cartridges that I purchased with ones that were compatible with the new printer...  and possibly extend the warranty an extra 3 months.  

They were not able to tell me when the 8600 was discontinued and how long they supported discontinued product.  They sounded like they just wanted to sell a new printer....  pretty bogus tactics imho.   

Anyone have any suggestions - if I call back, do you think another support person might be able to get the reset to work?

I'm using a mac, and in another posting, someone said that doing the reset from a mac was not possible.    Does HP have people calling in to reset the region,  just a tactic to sell you a new printer?

I'm not sure if printers are considered an electronic device, but hopefully Costco will take this boat anchor back along with the ink cartridges.   If anyone has recommendations for a good color laser printer, maybe it's time to upgrade from these inkjet printers.    

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, only select few agents have access to the regionalization reset software.  I would suggest you try again.  Tell the agent you need a "Regionalization Reset" and do not take no for an answer.  If the agent you speak to does not have access to the regionalization reset procedure (most do not) ask to be transferred

In the past it was true that the reset was only possible using a Windows based computer, but that is not the case any more.  I have seen several cases recently where success with Mac was reported as in the case here.  You may need to temporaarily connect your printer with USB (assuming you currently have a newtwork printer connection).

The regionalization reset is covered by cartridge warranty, see the document here for information.

It may be productive to contact HP using their HP Support Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/HPSupport/

Please post back here with your results so that more assistance can be given if needed.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.