Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 2630
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I just went to a major store to buy a new cartridge, but it was sold of, so the guy told me to bring the empty ones and recycle them.

I did that, but when I got home, installed them and the printer printed the test and it's saying that it has around 15% (it was previously 0%). Also the PC said the same.

I went back to the store with the report and he said that it is normal for recycled cartridges because the chip saves the value and they cannot re program it.

Is it true?

Best regards,

Miguel Nóbrega 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your cartridge isn't recycled it's refilled big difference.

The printer calculates ink level from the data ( chip) integrated on the ink cartridge and page count. When you install new ink cartridge printer reads data from the cartridge and the ink level is 100% full, but when you get your cartridge refilled ( or buy previously refilled cartridge) the printer gets confused and wrongly calculates ink level or in some cases, it can even know ink level and shows empty. Reprograming refilled cartridge to read 100% on your cartridge model is very hard, and not something a local refill shop can do. If it works you are fine, and you saved some money with a refill.

My profile on LinkedIn

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.