Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8710

Hey folks,

I'm in a jam with my current printer, a desk jet all-in-one model that is out of warranty.  Recently installed  new  ink cartridges - genuine HP as I've always done - and cannot resolve the following error:

"One or more cartridges are missing or damaged.  Until cartridges are replaced make sure the printer is turned on to avoid damage to the printer".  This error was actually occurring PRIOR to the ink replacement, in addition to another blue screen error but the new ink only resolved the latter (this also required a power cycle sequence suggested in a help document from HP.com).  

I've cleaned contacts and power cycled a few times.  The only 'misstep' that I know of from my side is that the printer MAY have been turned off at some point when this error message was in play.  It's shared with my husband so we're not certain about that.  

The heading on the error messages is "Cartridge Problem" and the letters displayed above the error detail are C M Y and 'K'.  The K has a black circle around it so I assume that represents 'black'.  The new color cartridges are standard size and the black is XL.  

With $125 of new ink in the machine, I don't want to give up here, but with no warranty I need some help to resolve the issue.  I'm pretty handy so would appreciate any specific tips you can offer - and if I can't handle it, I'll find a local repair person.  

Thanks for your time.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@N207

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

If you've tried all the steps from here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8710-all-in-one-printer-series/7902014/documen... and the issue still persists, it could be a hardware failure.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.