Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I've been trying for the past 4 days and everytime it says the support portal is down when I submit the form per your guidelines.  How are we supposed to get this resolved if support holds the keys and is unreachable?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I had the same issue a few months ago.  I bought my HP Officejet Pro 8600 in the Middle East.  I returned to my home in the USA and the new genuine HP print cartridges purchased in the USA create an error message stating that the cartridges are not compatible etc.  This issue was created by HP to prevent fraud.  The printer cartridges must match the region of the printer.

You have two solutions:

Buy a new printer or contact tech support and ask them to perform a "Regional Reset" on your printer.

You must speak to a tech support person who will guide you through the process.  The process is a bit lenghty and a bit difficult.

They were unsuccessful a couple of times but eventually were successful.

Regional Reset Process for an overseas printer to be converted to a USA printer.

Step 1:  You must purchase a full set of genuine HP USA printer cartridges.

Step 2:  You must go online to the tech support site and create a service request "ticket"  You will need the workorder or ticket number when you contact HP tech support.  When you fill out the trouble shooting form.  Select the "in warranty"  button.  Your printer is likely out of warranty.  HOWEVER, the new set of printer cartridges that you purchased in step 1 are in warranty.  This will generate the ticket or work request number.

Step 3:  You will be required to connect your HP printer to a Windows PC or Notebook.  The regional reset process can ONLY be done on a PC using the MS Windows operating system.  Once the regional reset is complete you can use the printer on any operating system,  Mac etc.

Step 4:  Once the steps above are completed: Contact HP Tech Support  1-800-474-6836 and provide them with the ticket number and ask for a regional reset.  The process will take about 30 minutes to an hour.  End result:  Your printer works again!

HP Recommended

Just a note.  The comment above said that the reset can only be done from a Windows PC.  This is not true.  They can do this from a Mac as well.  It can also be done from a wireless connection... no usb connection required.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.