Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
CM749A
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

I have spent several hours trying to obtain support for a common problem regarding a regionalization reset for my HP Officejet Pro 8600.  I bought this printer in the Middle East and now have returned home to the USA.  The genuine HP cartridges purchased here in the USA are not compatible.  I need a phone number for customer support.  When I complete the online support information I can never get to the web form that is mentioned on this forum.   It would be nice to simply post the reset procedure or at provide a tech support number.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The new cartridge may have a marking like -Z10.  What is the marking?  Check the markings on the cartridge you removed as well as the other cartridges in the printer - are they the same Z number?

On the front panel of the printer go to the home screen and press the ink droplet icon at the top of the screen.  Next touch the black rectangle.  At this point a new window will open that says "installed cartridge" and "Supported cartridge".  What are the cartridge numbers listed?

HP introduced regionalized cartridges (Z10, Z20, Z30 and Z40) for the previously universal 950/951 cartridges in about January 2017.  The printer will "lock" itself to the first Zxx cartridge installed in the printer.  If you are in the US/Canada you will need Z10 cartridges, but the printer may have been locked to another region by accident.  In that case you will need to have HP perform a "Regionalization Reset".  You will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will also need to have a set of Z10 cartridges for the new region, once the reset is complete cartridges from the original region will no longer work.  HP's web page on the subject is here.

The regionalization reset is covered by cartridge warranty, see the document here for information. To get warranty coverage you will need to go to the Contact HP page, then enter the information for your printer.  At this point it will likely say "Manufacturer's warranty has expired"  To the right of this it will say "See details".  Click the "See details" link, which will open another page with more details.  Near the bottom of the text will be a paragraph that says : 

HP has checked your product information, including the product and serial numbers, to determine your warranty results.

The legal warranty expiration date is based on the date of purchase, as indicated on your receipt. If you feel these results are incorrect, you may submit a dispute for review. Dispute this >

Click on the "Dispute this" link which will ask for some additional contact information.  Fill out the contact information, then in the bottom section select:

Dispute reason  

Issue with my Accessories, Supplies and/or Software.

In the comment section indicate that you need a regionalization reset and the cartridges are in warranty.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

The new cartridge may have a marking like -Z10.  What is the marking?  Check the markings on the cartridge you removed as well as the other cartridges in the printer - are they the same Z number?

On the front panel of the printer go to the home screen and press the ink droplet icon at the top of the screen.  Next touch the black rectangle.  At this point a new window will open that says "installed cartridge" and "Supported cartridge".  What are the cartridge numbers listed?

HP introduced regionalized cartridges (Z10, Z20, Z30 and Z40) for the previously universal 950/951 cartridges in about January 2017.  The printer will "lock" itself to the first Zxx cartridge installed in the printer.  If you are in the US/Canada you will need Z10 cartridges, but the printer may have been locked to another region by accident.  In that case you will need to have HP perform a "Regionalization Reset".  You will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will also need to have a set of Z10 cartridges for the new region, once the reset is complete cartridges from the original region will no longer work.  HP's web page on the subject is here.

The regionalization reset is covered by cartridge warranty, see the document here for information. To get warranty coverage you will need to go to the Contact HP page, then enter the information for your printer.  At this point it will likely say "Manufacturer's warranty has expired"  To the right of this it will say "See details".  Click the "See details" link, which will open another page with more details.  Near the bottom of the text will be a paragraph that says : 

HP has checked your product information, including the product and serial numbers, to determine your warranty results.

The legal warranty expiration date is based on the date of purchase, as indicated on your receipt. If you feel these results are incorrect, you may submit a dispute for review. Dispute this >

Click on the "Dispute this" link which will ask for some additional contact information.  Fill out the contact information, then in the bottom section select:

Dispute reason  

Issue with my Accessories, Supplies and/or Software.

In the comment section indicate that you need a regionalization reset and the cartridges are in warranty.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I am glad to seee your regionalization issue was resolved.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended
Hey Bob, your procedures for obtaining an HP case number was spot on. I purchased a full set of HP ink cartridges from Office Depot. They are the proper HP z10 cartridges designated for the U.S. and Canada. The next step in this process is calling HP tech support. Thankfully, another forum user sent me the number. Tech support was great and very helpful BUT my issue is not yet resolved. I learned a few things from tech support that I will share. My PC is a Mac OS with the latest update. The regional reset cannot be done with Mac High Sierra. You need a Windows OS to do the reset. Fortunately, I have one and connected it to the printer. The tech took over my Windows machine. He found that the Geniune HP z10 cartridges would not properly respond to his commands due to an issue with the coding within the cartridges. The tech is having HP send me a full set of z10 cartridges. Once I receive the cartridges, I have been advised to contact HP tech support and they will reattempt the regional reset via my Windows OS. The saga continues, but I am confident the issue will be resolved soon.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the update.  Please post back here with any results, especially if you there are issues getting your printer region changed.

I am going to send you a PM asking for the number you were given.  There have been scammers active lately making posts and private messages to call suoport numbers that are NOT HP.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Bob,

thanks for the starting points on getting through to HP to perform a regional reset on my Office Jet Pro 8600.  I live in the USA which now requires 950 and 951 z-10 ink cartridges (who knew?) and my machine had somehow default set to region Z-20 (not USA!) so my newly purchased z-10 cartridges basically shut down my printer.

Your instructions were spot on and I filed an online request. The only problem is I didn't get a response.   So I went to Facebook HP Support and received a support phone number from them (through messenger).  I  called, bypassed all the instructions to hang up and go back on-line and eventually got an agent.  After 10 minutes of telling me my printer was obsolete and discontinued, and 15 minutes of trying to upsell me to a new OfficeJet Pro, they asked if I had all z-10 cartridges and that it might take an hour to an hour and a half to do the reset.   I didn't give in, told them to do the reset, and it took 10 minutes.  I did have to throw out 3 barely used cartridges, but the printer works fine now and I'll probably use it for another 5 years.

So thanks again for the help in identifying the problem.  The total cost for the solution ended up being about $40 in unused ink.  Better than $200 for a new machine I didn't need.

HP Recommended

Has anyone had success contacting HP for a reset as they describe on this webpage? When they say "Contact Support" just below, the page take you to the abyss without any path to actually contacting support. Does anyone have a phone number for HP that I can call? This all seem ridiculous and a waste of my time, but i really need my printer to print off of US ink cartridges.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi There Frustrated!

Totally get your frustration.  I have successfully ventured into the regional reset abyss. 

Bottom line is HP really wants you to purchase a new printer.   

The real reason for the regional reset process is to prevent fakes and resales around the world.

Not really sure why HP does not describe the process in plain english but...

Here is your fix in plain language.

HP Tech Support is awesome and they are more than willing to assist.  However,  they have their company rules to comply with.

Follow Bob's advice in the thread in this topic.

First your printer is out of warranty.  

Step One:  Purchase a full set of USA HP cartridges.  (Real ones not fakes)  Keep the receipt.

Step Two:  Go through the process on the HP website and make a warranty/service claim on your NEW cartridges.

(You tried them in your printer and they don't work.)

Once you make this warranty claim, HP will issue you a warranty work order number.

Step Three:  Contact HP Tech Support  1-800-474-6836..(Ensure you have plenty of time)

Step 3A  Be patiient.  Request a regional reset for your printer.  They will ask for the work order claim number you recieved in step 2.

IMPORANT!!  

Serve yourself a nice beverage.

Note 1:  

Tech support will eventually connect you to someone who has knowledge of the regional reset process.  Tech support staff does not do this everyday.. They need to find someone that is experienced in the process.

Note 2:  YOUR printer MUST be connected to a computer using a Windows operating system.  The regional reset CANNOT be 

done on the MAC OS.   However, once the regional reset is completed you CAN use the printer on a MAC.

Note 3:  The Tech Support personnel will have to take remote control of your windows machine to do the regional reset.  There are alot  of steps and reboots.

Eventually your printer will be back to normal, printing with USA cartridges.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.