Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 8600
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Background:

Purchased new ink for the 8600 and ran straight into the Regionalization issue.  Previous inks were Z10, new inks are Z40.  Bought a whole new set of Z40, but still encountered the Incompatible Ink message.  Confirmed that the printer is "locked" to the US region and needs to be reset to Asia Pacific (NZ).  Contacted HP about having them do a Regionalization Reset so that I can use Z40 zone inks.  Spend 1.5 hours on the phone with the HP rep, who was very good, but ultimately unable to perform the regional reset.  The reason given by HP was that with the new MAC OS (Catalina) HP can no longer access the things it needs to access due to heightened security in Catalina.   HP suggested in borrow someone's Microsoft PC.  Unlikely to happen, so .....

Two Questions:  

1.  Has anyone been able to get the Regionalization Reset on their printer to work under MAC OS Catalina?

2. Has anyone been able to get the Regionalization Reset to work under a pre-Catalina MAC OS?  I do have an option to fall back to an earlier MAC OS, but don't want to go thru the trouble to try this if there is no proof that it will work.

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @GalacticKiwi

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

We can use HP Smart App on Mac to perform a regional reset. However, the connection type has to be USB, the reset will not work on a wireless connection. 

Click here to download HP Smart app on your MAC

The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may brick the device.  

I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.  

  

In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.  In the work I did with the HP support person did involve a USB connection to the printer and the use of the HP Smart app, which I downloaded.  The problem that I observed was that while we were able to get to a screen (which I believe was the Supply Level screen), I was asked to Alt-clk in the gray space which should have resulted in some additional options appearing.  The support person had me attempt several variants of this step involving different types of clicks in different locations on that screen.  We also tried several other options:

Putting back in the Z10 ink (full set) and retrying the steps.

Rebooting the MAC, several times

Trying to access the screen thru different paths

The result was always the same.  Since I do not understand what the step was trying to accomplish (a screen shot of what was suppose to appear would have been helpful), so I have no clue as to what was going wrong.  The HP support person then said it had to do with Catalina OS and the additional security measures.  I should also note, that for the duration of the support call, I was able to screen share with the technician so that he could vouch for the accuracy of what I was doing.  

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

HP Recommended

@GalacticKiwi

That's unfortunate. I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-To-Send-A-Private-Messa...

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.