Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have the same error message:

After printing out a document, a message popped up showing a picture of the 3 dots (coloured ink?) cartridge and the message "remove and reinstall the indicated cartridge, making sure that it is correctly installed". I have recently installed a new black cartridge and this has been happening since!

I have tried all the formentioned things in the forum posts still no joy. I have instant ink, how do I go about ordering new cartridges?

It is very frustating, I a degree student and rely on the printer to produce my assignments

😞

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@SalliB,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!

I understand you have a concern regarding your Instant Ink cartridges. Don't worry I'll be glad to help you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Could you also provide me with the exact model of the printer? Use this link to find it:  https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03754824  (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Have you recently made any changes on the printer before the issue started?

Did it happen soon after replacing the ink cartridges?

Have you tried to clean the ink cartridge contacts as well as the printhead?

Are you able to make a copy from the printer?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

I need to know few details regarding your Instant ink account to help you get the ink cartridge.

Since the instant ink account details are confidential, please send me the required information via private message.

I am sending you a private message with the information required. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

128 REPLIES 128
HP Recommended

@SalliB,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!

I understand you have a concern regarding your Instant Ink cartridges. Don't worry I'll be glad to help you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Could you also provide me with the exact model of the printer? Use this link to find it:  https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03754824  (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Have you recently made any changes on the printer before the issue started?

Did it happen soon after replacing the ink cartridges?

Have you tried to clean the ink cartridge contacts as well as the printhead?

Are you able to make a copy from the printer?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

I need to know few details regarding your Instant ink account to help you get the ink cartridge.

Since the instant ink account details are confidential, please send me the required information via private message.

I am sending you a private message with the information required. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for getting back to me, please see below comments to your questions.

Could you also provide me with the exact model of the printer? OfficeJet 4650

Have you recently made any changes on the printer before the issue started? None

Did it happen soon after replacing the ink cartridges? yes, i have only replaced the black ink as instant ink did not supply a coloured cartridge to replace

Have you tried to clean the ink cartridge contacts as well as the printhead? yes, as the ink cartridge is not recognised I am unable to clean print head via the control panel

Are you able to make a copy from the printer? not now

I have also done a hard reset and still have the same issue.

I have also replied to your private message

HP Recommended

Thank you for sorting out replacement ink cartridges, the printer is now working correctly 🙂

HP Recommended

@SalliB,

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad I could contribute towards resolving the issue and finding the solution you were looking for.
Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.
And mark my post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, 

I put in a new instant ink black cartridge and I keep getting a Remove and reinstall message. It's a brand new cartridge for a HP Office jet Pro 8710. 

Tried unplugging the printer for 2-3 and held the power button for 30 seconds. Powered it back on and it still says the same issue.

Is their anything else I can try?

Thanks for your help, 

Tim 

HP Recommended

I have an HP OfficeJet 5740 printer with instant ink. I was also getting the error message to remove and reinstall the indicated cartridge (black). I tried cleaning the contacts, I tried doing a hard reset by removing the plug for a few minutes and then plugging in the power cord. I replaced the black cartridge with a new one from Instant Ink. None of these methods fixed the problem.   The suggestion to remove the cartridges, pull the plug, wait several minutes, press the power button to make sure all power is drained, plug back in, and then reinstall the cartridges actually fixed the problem.    Thank you!!!!!!   Evidently, resetting the printer involves a little more than just pulling the power cord and waiting a few minutes and then plugging the cord back in.    Thank you for giving detailed instructions.

HP Recommended

@Bill001,

Thanks for the update. And you're welcome.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,
Have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried all the things that everbody else said but I still get the message to remove and reinstall the cartage any other suggestions 

HP Recommended

Same thing; tried hard and soft resets as shown here to no avail and REALLY bothersome.

If all old cartriges that came with the new printer WE JUST bought are removed, and then each color added individually for detection (close cover), then it is fine (indicates cartriges missing only). Only when the new large black cartrige is added, then there is an error for ALL NEW CARTRIGES. If the new black cartrige is removed and the old black cartrige put back, then there is an error with all the NEW COLOR CARTRIGES only. The old black cartrige is fine although the ink is detected as low.

Please help. I do not understand how this can be an issue at the first ink change after buying a new printer with small original cartriges.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.