Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 7640
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi,

I have been unable to print anything with my HP ENVY 7640 as it continues displaying the error "remove and reinstall the indicated ink cartridge, making sure it is correctly installed".

I've gone through the list of other recommendations to fix this issue incuding unplugging the power cord from the printer and then removing the cord from the power outlet on the wall, waiting 60 seconds and plugging in again. Nothing has worked and it's continued giving me these error messages.

I don't know what to do at this point and any help would be greatly appreciated! I really don't want to buy another printer as everything else works well on this unit but I can't print anything out without the error message coming up. 

Many thanks,

Kim

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@kangell

Welcome to HP forums, I see that you are getting cartridge error.

Did you clean the electrical contacts of the printer?

If not, try the following steps to fix this issue

Clean the electrical contacts

1. Gather the following materials:

• Dry foam-rubber swabs, lint-free cloth, or any soft material that does not come apart or leave fibers (coffee filters work well)

• Distilled, filtered, or bottled water (tap water might contain contaminants that can damage the cartridges)

CAUTION: 

Do not use platen cleaners or alcohol to clean the cartridge contacts. These can damage the cartridge or the printer.

2. Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it is not already on.

3. Open the cartridge access door by placing two fingers under one or both of the small handles on the sides of the cartridge access door and then lifting it up.

Figure : Open the cartridge access door

Image: Open the cartridge access door

The Door Open screen displays on the printer control panel with the message, 'The cover or door must be closed to print. Check that it is completely closed.' A Change Ink option also displays on the bottom right corner of the touchscreen. You do not need to select this option at this time.

4. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

WARNING: 

You must disconnect the power cord before reaching inside the printer to avoid the risk of injuries or electric shock.

5. Disconnect the USB cable, if the printer is connected to your computer with a USB connection.

6. Lightly press down on one of the cartridges to release it, and then pull the cartridge toward you out of its slot.

Figure : Press down to remove the cartridge

Image: Press down to remove the cartridge
       CAUTION: 

Do not remove both cartridges at the same time. Remove and clean each cartridge one at a time. Do not leave a cartridge outside the printer for more than 30 minutes.

7. Hold the cartridge by its sides.

Figure : Hold the cartridge by its sides

Image: Hold the cartridge by its sides.
  8. Inspect the ink cartridge contacts for ink and debris buildup.

CAUTION: 

Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or the ink nozzles. Touching these parts can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.

Figure : Do not touch the contacts or nozzles

Image: Do not touch the contacts or nozzles.
  9. Lightly moisten a foam-rubber swab or lint-free cloth with distilled water, and then squeeze any excess water from it.

10. Clean only the copper-colored contacts on the cartridge, and then allow the cartridge to dry for about 10 minutes.

Figure : Clean the contacts

Image: Clean the contacts.

Copper-colored contacts
    2. Ink nozzles (do not clean)

11. Lightly moisten another foam-rubber swab or lint-free cloth with distilled water, and then squeeze any excess water from it.

12. Use the swab or cloth to clean the electrical contacts in the cartridge slots, located inside the carriage in the printer.

Figure : Clean the electrical contacts in the cartridge slots

Image: Clean the electrical contacts in the cartridge slots
  13. Allow the carriage contacts to dry for about 10 minutes.

14. Reinsert the cartridge by sliding it at a slight upward angle into the empty slot, and then gently pushing up on the cartridge until it snaps into place.

• Reinsert the tri-color cartridge into the left slot.

• Reinsert the black cartridge into the right slot.

Figure : Reinsert the cartridge

Image: Reinsert the cartridge
  15. Repeat these steps to clean the contacts for the other cartridge.

16. Close the cartridge access door. When the door is completely closed, the Door Open screen with the message, 'The cover or door must be closed to print. Check that it is completely closed.' disappears, and the printer returns to the Home screen.

Figure : Close the cartridge access door

Image: Close the cartridge access door
  17. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

18. Reconnect the USB cable, if the printer is connected to your computer with a USB connection.

19. Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it does not turn on automatically.

Update the printer firmware

Refer this HP document for the steps to update the printer firmware:- Click here

You can refer to this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandy, 

Thank you for going through some alternate solutions. I've tried both clearing the contacts and updating software but am unfortunately still receiving the same error message.

HP Recommended

Hi @kangell, I am the Mr.Robot. It looks like you were interacting with @sandytechy20, but he is out of the office today, so I'll take over from here.

I appreciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned even after trying out the steps the issue still persists.

It certainly looks like an issue with the ink cartridge or a hardware issue with the printer.

Please contact HP phone support for service options. Click Here

Have a blessed day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did this and it did not fix anything...

HP Recommended

What's the point of this trail, that just runs out leaving us all in the lurch? My printer doing exactly the same; it doesn't say which cartridge is at fault, and they're both relatively new, and full of ink.  I've wasted ages trying to fix it so I can print urgent doc...

HP Recommended

@Williamsd

Thank you for joining the HP Community

Could you please help me with the exact model name of the printer or the product number?

Did you try with a different in cartridge or old ink cartridge?

Keep me posted.

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I am completely fed up with HP and their faulty printers.  I had two ink jet all in one printers that gave me a fatal printer head problem after only two years of use.  After many attempts to rectify the problem proved to be a futile waste of time (again on the second printer with the same message), their only response was, " You'll have to upgrade" which means they are telling me to throw my money away by giving it to them for a product they know will fail.  Now my friend is having this "remove and reinstall the indicated ink cartridge, making sure it is correctly installed" problem.  All of the steps they suggest are folly and they know it.  Their printers and their cartridges are defective.  Why they put us through all of these useless steps knowing that they will do no good irks me to no end.  It's just mean.  There are so many forums about the exact same problems it's sickening.  Greed is their only motivation in spite of all the seemingly friendly tech solutions that they know are futile.  Shame on them!!!  Because of their greedy deceit, I will NEVER buy another HP product and I have been encouraging everyone I know to do the same.  DO NOT GIVE HP ANOTHER CENT!!!!

HP Recommended

@NotHappy6

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

This situation will need some additional support from our internal teams in HP. For that to happen, we will give you additional instructions/information via Private Message.

Please do check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.