Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello.

I have had this printer  (HP C8180 Photosmart All-In-One) many years and wish to keep it running.  My problem is white streaks in the black ink printout.  It seems the streaks are getting worse with every test printout until you can barely see any black ink on the printout at all.  It is as if I have run out of ink.

I have replaced the black ink cartridge twice, performed the self cleaning and alignment tests several times.  Nothing worked or helped. I looked at the black ink ports where the ink cartridge installs .  It has an upper and lower ink port.  The upper port seems to be dry (or drying out) - as if the ink just isn't flowing.  Can I repair this printhead?  If so, can I get guidance  on how to do it?

Can someone find me a repair manual  (not owner's manual - I have that) for this unit?

If all else fails, can someone find me a new printhead for purchase and help with how to install it?

Finally, if none of the above works out, is there anyone out there that works on printers that I could send it to for repair?

I believe that about covers it!  I hope someone can help. 

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @Lytton

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Appreciate you trying the steps. This looks like a hardware issue, I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. 

I haven't thought to contact HP simply because this printer was old, outdated, and out of warranty.  Would they even bother to contact me to try and repair it?

I live in the Winston Salem NC USA region.  Is there a local HP service center in my area that I could take it to?  I don't  know for sure.

Thanks for any help.

HP Recommended

@Lytton

You may check with the local repair store or contact the HP Shopping for an upgrade. 

Thanks!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you kindly for your reply.  I sincerely apologize for my extended delays at replying to anyone as I am working long hours these days since I am considered an essential employee at my job.

I can try asking computer repair places if they repair printers.  I have asked before from time to time and the answer is usually no.   I did buy a new printer just in case I can't fix the old one.  Looks like I might have to use it after all.

I did read an interesting post from someone who gave a long description of how he solved his problem as well as recommending what not to do.  Basically, after reading his  post I am wondering if it is simply a matter of the black ink drying up a little inside the feed tube.  he went on to say that after a lot of ink usage and about 500 self test printings....he started to see the ink flow again onto the paper.

I am wondering to try that - keep on trying to print until the ink works its' way through the lines and maybe starts flowing again.  I'm guessing the fresh ink might be  'melting' the dried ink as it works its way through the clog?

Maybe it could work.  Not much to lose except for the ink I have already purchased but cannot use otherwise until the printer is fixed.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Just a follow-up to my last message......I tried several self clean printings, alignments, and even changing the yellow ink cartridge (which ran out).  No change in the alignment message - which has continued to show 'the alignment failed'.  No change in the black ink failing to print, too.

I then tried to print out some color pictures just to try and waste ink in an effort to get ink flowing through the machine.  They came out even worse -  with faded lines horizontally all across the page as the paper moved through the printout.   Oohh, this printer is shot , I thought.

But I did another type of test called PrintATestPage.com and the printout results (black and color) were perfect!   What?  How is that possible?

I tried several other test printings and the black ink started printing pretty good but not perfect.  Then, the next print, it was not so good.  That went on back 'n forth.  

I haven't again tried printing a photograph, but I hardly ever print photos yet anyway.   Someday I have always planned to try printing stock quality photographs but not yet.  Most of what I use my printer for is printing words and receipts.

Now I just tried printing out the Forum reply from Craftmen to a question asked long ago about "Can The Printhead on a Photosmart C8180 All-In-One be Replaced?"  This reply is the one I alluded to in my previous post about his efforts to get his Red color to print.  He said that after many trials and 500 test printouts, he finally got it to work.

I am happy to report that so did mine.  I was able to print out his reply so I could reference it.The black ink print seems to be getting better.  It isn't always perfect and I am wondering if it will fail again especially if I overtax it, but for now, the ink seems to be flowing.

For lack of a better explanation, I am inclined to believe that my ink ports were being clogged up with drying out ink due to lack of use of my printer and now that I have put fresh ink through its' paces, my machine is now responding to treatment.

It's not perfect....but it is recovering for now. 

Let's hope it lasts.  Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.