Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 2540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

After replacing my black ink after it ran out my printer is no longer printing clearly. Some printing is missing, some is smudged and some is OK (all on the same page).

With other printers I have had in the past, when printing a box appears on screen with info about ink levels, number of prints etc and a way to access head clean, test print & lining up the printer, I don't get this with this printer so I am unable to do anything other than physically make sure the ink cartridges are not blocked, their not.

Any suggestions on what to try next please?
Many thanks 🙂

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hey there! @DH73, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that after replacing the ink cartridge your printer is not printing clearly.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

What happens when you try to make a copy? Does the issue still persist?

Please try the steps recommended below.

Right-click or tap and hold the lower left corner of the screen to open the menu, click or tap Control Panel, click or tap Devices and Printers, double-click or double-tap the name of your HP printer, and then click HP Print Assistant to open the HP printer software.
You can also open the HP printer software from your computer desktop. Double-click or double-tap the icon for your HP printer
Double-click or double-tap Print & Scan.
Click or tap Set Preferences. The Printing Preferences dialog box opens.
Click or tap the Paper/Quality tab.
From the Media drop-down, select the paper type that matches the paper loaded in the input tray and the desired print quality.
Click or tap the Advanced tab. The Advanced Options dialog box opens.
Review the following options, and then make any necessary changes.
Paper/Output: Make sure that the selected option matches your paper size. For example, for legal paper, select Legal.
Document Options: Make sure that Print in Grayscale is set to Off unless you are printing in Grayscale intentionally.
Resolution: This list allows you to see the resolution specifications for the possible print quality selections. For example, Max DPI mode is 1200x1200 dots per inch (dpi). To change the resolution, you must click the Paper/Quality tab, and then select the paper type and print quality from the Media drop-down menu.
Click or tap OK, and then click or tap OK again to apply the settings.
Click or tap OK in the Print dialog box to start the print job.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot print quality issues.

Let me know if this works!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for your advice, unfortunately the print quality still isnt brilliant. For normal everyday printing it's OK but I make handmade cards and I use my printer to personalise them so the print quality on card has to be quite good, up till now it has been perfect. Ive tried both manually and installing the program to check if it's still under warranty, manually it can't find me and the program wont even launch (I tried the download twice).

😞

HP Recommended

@DH73, Thanks for your quick response and time.

Thanks for trying out the steps.

Please try the steps recommended below.

Did you try printing a print diagnostics page from your printer? Does the issue persist?

Load clean, white U.S. Letter or A4 paper in the input tray, if necessary.
Touch and hold the Power button (), and then press the Cancel button ().
Let go of the Cancel button and then the Power button. The test page prints.
Check the estimated ink level graphics on the test page.
Example of estimated ink levels with more ink
Example of estimated ink levels with less ink
If the ink level graphic shows low or empty cartridges, and the quality of your printouts is unsatisfactory, continue to the next step to replace the cartridges.
If the ink level graphic shows full cartridges, you do not need to replace the cartridges yet. Skip to the next solution.

Try to Align the printer and check if it helps.

Make sure that you have plain white U.S. Letter or A4 sized paper loaded in the input tray.
Lift the scanner lid.
Place the alignment page with the print side down on the right-front corner of the scanner glass. See the engraved guide next to the scanner glass for help loading the alignment page.
Close the scanner lid.
Press the Start Copy Black button () or the Start Copy Color button () on the front panel of the printer. The printer aligns the cartridges.
If these steps resolved the issue, you do not need to continue troubleshooting.

Take care,            

Have a great day ahead! 🙂 

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi again

Thank you so much for your advice, I followed all the steps for the diagnostics page and the quality was still the same. I am unable to print out another alignment page and when I am trying to re scan the original one from this ink change it just issues me with a copy of it.

I appreciate you trying to help me with this, thank you very much.

HP Recommended

Hello, @DH73

Thanks for the reply! i would like to jump in with a suggestion!

You mentioned that the issue started after replacing the black cartridge. Do you have an alternate cartridge so that we can further isolate the issue?

Try using a different cartridge and make a copy to check the print quality. If the issue is with the cartridge, then we can contact the HP phone support to get the cartridge replaced.

You can visit http://www.support.hp.com/contact-hp and fill in your product details to get the tech support number.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi

Sorry for my delay in responding, life has a nasty habit of getting in the way lol

I didn't have another ink cartridge to install and try again and I didn't want to buy another for it to be a waste of money if it didn't work so I bought a new printer to save more messing about and headaches.

I thank you very much though for trying to sort my problem, I really appreciat it.
Debbie

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.