Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slonights
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Replacement Printer Says "Cartridge Can Only Be Used In Printer That Initially Installed It"

Officejet 3830
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I just received a replacement printer from HP in the mail. After unboxing it and going through the setup prompts I inserted the ink from my faulty printer and received the message in the title. 

I checked HP's help section and it advised me to either press the HP ePrint Icon (my printer does not have one), connect the printer to the internet (I cannot do this because I can't get past the ink installation screen), or look for a notification in my HP Instant Ink Account that a new printer has arrived and follow the steps (there is no such notification). 

The replacement printer also did not come with ink or a printout with the needed # to enroll it. 

How can I continue? 

1 REPLY 1
slonights
2 1 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Replacement Printer Says "Cartridge Can Only Be Used In Printer That Initially Installed It"

I give up. I cancelled our instant ink account and ordered regular cartridges from a 3rd party on Amazon because I don't have another hour to spend on the phone with overseas tech support. 

Mods you can close this thread. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation