12-23-2019 09:30 AM
I have an HP Office Jet Pro 6978 and never set the printer up and now I get an error message about the set up cartridges. Is there any way I can purchase new set up cartridges for an out of warranty printer? Thanks.
12-25-2019 11:20 AM
Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.
- The ink cartridges that go with the printers are setup ink cartridges that are designed to initialize the printer.
- These ink cartridges are not available in local stores.
Performing an OOBE reset on the printer may resolve this issue and allow you to use regular ink cartridges.
- The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
- I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
- In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage
Hope this helps! Keep me posted.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Have a great day!
I am an HP Employee