Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart c309a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The Photo Reprints button on my HP Photosmart c309a tells me my photo tray is empty. I have 8 1/2 x 11 photo paper in my Main tray because that is the photo size. Do I gotta plug this thing and change something via my laptop to switch trays or is there an easier way?

TIA Jon

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@gtmtnbikr Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are unable to print the photos using the photo tray.

Solution one: Check the photo tray

1. Lift the output tray and extend the photo tray.

Figure : Extend the photo tray

Illustration: Lifting the output tray and extending the photo tray
  2. Remove all photo paper from the photo tray.

3. Slide the photo tray all the way into its slot, as far as it can go.

4. Lower the output tray, and then press the OK button () on the control panel.

• If these steps resolved the issue, you do not need to continue troubleshooting.

• If the issue persists, continue to the next solution.

Solution two: Perform a power reset

1. Press the Power button () to turn off the product.

2. Unplug the power cord from the electrical outlet.

3. Disconnect the power cord from the back of the product.

4. Disconnect the USB cable from the back of the product.

5. Wait 30 seconds, and then reconnect the power cord to the product.

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet. Do not use a surge protector, extension cord, or power strip.

7. Press the Power button () to turn on the product.

8. Reconnect the USB cable to the product.

• If these steps resolved the issue, you do not need to continue troubleshooting.

• If the issue persists, continue to the next solution.

Solution three: Change the copy options

Use the product control panel to change the copy options.

1. Press the down arrow button () to select Copy Menu, and then press the OK button ().

2. Press the down arrow button () to select Paper Size, and then press the OK button ().

3. Press the down arrow button () to select Automatic, and then press the OK button ().

4. Press the down arrow button () to select Paper Type, and then press the OK button ().

5. Press the down arrow button () to select Automatic, and then press the OK button ().

6. Press the down arrow button () to select Set as New Defaults, and then press the OK button (). The Set as New Defaults menu opens.

7. Press the down arrow button () to select Yes, change defaults, and then press the OK button ().

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.