Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8740
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I need to reset the administrator password for my HP8740 printer, but cannot figure out how to do so as I have lost the most recent previous password.  The printer's connected wirelessly to a MacBook Pro 15,2 running the current operating system (Catalina). 

I got to this point as follows.  My first printer admin password (provided during initial printer setup) was fine for >1 year.  I then attempted to change it using the HP printer utility (HP Version 5.46.0) running on the MBP.  Due to a stray autofill from my password management program (1Password 7), I have now lost the new password and cannot recover it.  Trying to change the current password repeatedly results in a request from the printer utility for the now missing password .

In trying to fix the problem, I began with numerous printer and laptop reboots, then tried uninstalling all HP printer software (Easy Scan, preferences, drivers) using the HP Uninstall program.  Fresh downloads of the relevant software got me nowhere.

I have also accessed the printer support menu using the printer touchscreen interface and carried out both partial and semi-full reboots of the printer to factory default settings.  In each case, I can easily reconnect the printer to my home wireless network and do basic wireless printing but still can't change the password manually: when prompted, I've tried as current passwords "admin" and the original year-old password.

I really would like to change some of the basics (to non-factory default printer paper sizes, for example) but can't without a functioning administrator password.  Help?  

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@scott5003, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I understand you'd want to customize some of the printer settings and now stuck without an admin password. I also noticed that you have already performed all the possible troubleshooting steps. 

I would suggest you reach out to the HP Support in your region for further assistance.

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks very much, TEJ.  I've been traveling the last few days and just got back to this. 

I'll try the link you've provided and let people know what we're able to come up with.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.