Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
PHOTOSMART 5520
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

i have had this printer for a few years,  not used very often,  but ink replaced regularly.  However today I have replaced all four cartridges and it has decided to request the setup cartridges.  These were used and disposed of many moons ago.  Now the printer no longer operates,  I have tried putting the old cartridges back in ( not setup ones) but it recognised none of them now.  I have tried finding a solution from HP but the site is slightly less user friendly than useless.  I hope someone with some good news can help me fix this problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@CJH_UK

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer. I read that the printer all of a sudden is requesting for the setup ink cartridges. The printer worked well before. You have tried inserting the older cartridges (non setup cartridges) and the issue persists. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. 

I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector. Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

If the printer continues to display the same message then please continue to troubleshoot by following the steps from this link

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@CJH_UK

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer. I read that the printer all of a sudden is requesting for the setup ink cartridges. The printer worked well before. You have tried inserting the older cartridges (non setup cartridges) and the issue persists. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. 

I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector. Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

If the printer continues to display the same message then please continue to troubleshoot by following the steps from this link

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

I have read many historic responses,  and saw little positive solutions...I was expecting to wait a couple of days then start looking for another printer.     However I followed your instructions....absolutely perfect....I now have a working printer.   I cannot thank you enough for offering the solution but more importantly,  taking the time to reply.  Thank you once again.

HP Recommended

@CJH_UK

You're most welcome. 🙂

I'm glad to know that the suggested steps helped. I must say that technical solutions can only be provided. But it was you who implemented them to perfection. 

Happy printing! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.