Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
macOS 10.15 Catalina

After an SSID change I had a problem with getting the 3630 connected to the wifi. Somehow I ended up on a site that looked like www.123.hp.com. Thinking I was on a legitimate HP site I granted access but within minute I was asked to agree to a $63.00 fee, I knew then I was not talking to HP and ended the call. I'm a nervous wreck thinking my sensitive data was harvested. It seems these people have been around for a long time and I am hoping their only scam was charging for service and not to get access to steal data. Can anyone give me an idea how much risk I face? Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@TheAmbassador 

Yes, the look-alike sites, vermin, and scammers have been clustered around the actual HP site for years.  It is lucrative hunting grounds.  You are not the first one to have stumbled into a trap.

You did the right thing, of course.  Kudos for being alert.

I cannot guarantee your personal data was not "harvested" via the phone call and landing on the fake site.

In general, if you have decent security on your browser and computer (and you did not let them in), if you can block calls on your phone (or at least screen all calls), you are probably no worse for wear.

For those reading:

Beware of Fake "123" Sites

The official HP 123 site is where you can find the appropriate (and free) software and drivers for your printer.

The official HP 123 site is not a website where odd chat boxes pop up on the screen and someone tries to offer you "Services" if you would just give out your credit card and information. Not.

The "Real Deal"

123.hp.com - Printer setup from the HP® Official site

https://123.hp.com/

Beware of Fake 123 printer sites

• There are several “fake” sites listed (in search engines) for “123” – please make sure you are using the actual “HP” site.

• Notice the website address – the real HP site does not contain any extra verbiage.  For example, there is no “setup” or other extra bits in the address.

• HP websites are the only websites allowed to use the HP copyright circle/logo.  Look for the copyright on any website claiming to be HP. If in doubt, scroll to the bottom of the Website to find HP copyright logo.  Example:  “© Copyright <year> HP Development Company, L.P.”

• If you are asked for money to correct "issues" on your computer OR if the “help” wants to log into your computer, you are using a “fake” site. Do not give these people your information! 

From HP:  HP Fraud Alert: Protect Yourself from Scams, Report Suspicious Calls

Document includes links to USA and Canadian authorities to report the incident.

Excerpted

Recently, HP has seen an increased number of third-party support websites selling HP driver downloads or diagnostic tools. Many of these websites use the HP trademark symbol and claim to be official HP distributors.

If your product supports your operating system, HP offers your driver and software at no additional cost through the HP website.

Use caution when dealing with any website that asks you to pay for HP driver downloads or tools that claim to diagnose your HP products. These websites might not be affiliated with HP in any way.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks very much for the reply. I also emailed HP and just received a call back from the real HP people. He was very interested in the details and confirmed these pirates are out there but like whack a mole, you knock one down they pop up again. Good wake up call that gave me the motivation to change all my security and lock down even more on the firewall. To really sleep easy HP recommended a complete re-image. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@TheAmbassador 

You are welcome.

Stay Safe - in your home and online, too.  Smiling.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.