12-04-2019 07:17 AM
HP has really messed up their lovely lineup of Officejet Pro printers for the MAC users. It is as if they felt that MAC users don't use printers and don't need certain features. I have to say this problem that I am about to describe is something that I have seen many users post and complain about on the forums here. It pisses me off as well as anybody else that is trying to find a solution. Anyways here is the story for those that want to read
1. I used to have a HP Officejet Pro 8620 printer.
2. It was connected to my computer running Mac OS Mojave with upgrades to it since day one.
3. When I went to that printer I was able to go to scan on the touch screen and select scan to computer.
4. When I deleted scan to computer, it automatically populated a list on my touch screen of the printer with my computers name on it I selected it and hit scan.
5. Once the scan was started a Finder window would open up on my Mac and it would put the scanned item into the specified folder.
6. Apple comes out with a new operating system called macOS Catalina.
7. My printer HP Officejet Pro 8620 stops working now with this feature.
8. I go to HP's website to look for a new driver.
9. HP's website doesn't have a new driver for my printer.
10. HP Officejet Pro 8620 stops working all together.
11. I go out I buy a new HP Printer HP Officejet Pro 9015.
12. I install it to my computer.
13. To my surprise this was one of the hardest installs I ever had to do to a printer since I needed to download a smart phone app to complete install. **bleep** HP? Not everybody who buys your printers has a smartphone or expects to use it when they are trying to install their printer on the computer.
14. Looks like HP Utility is history for their new printers.
15. I call HP tech support to ask for help.
16. To my surprise they tell me that I can't do scan to computer from my printer model because there are no drivers for it. My question is why? You are selling a product that has false advertising on it. If the feature doesn't work, why would yo have it be as part of the option on the printer menu? Is this a feature that only works on Windows computers? Why would you only make a printer that is only 100% compatible with windows and 50% compatible on Mac? Why was HP Utility stopped, why not have two separate programs that customers can use to accomplish what they want and have both serve their own purpose?
17. In order to make Apple users happy, I think you HP should bring back the drivers for MAC users for macOS Catalina.
For those of you that read this post I thank you. For those of you still trying to search for a solution to getting your printer to work 100% with your Mac like it did with your prior printers and operating systems STOP! HP has forgotten about us Mac users. I suggest you go look into other brands because what is suppose to be the latest and greatest from HP is anything but that.
12-06-2019 08:52 AM
@piplo12384, Welcome to the HP Support Community!
Apologies for the inconvenience. If the printer is installed as AirPrint, you may use Apple Image Capture to scan.
Refer to this document to know how to use Apple Image capture.
If you have installed the printer using HP driver, use HP Smart to scan.
Click here to download and know more about HP Smart.
Make sure both the devices are up-to-date.
Update the printer firmware
Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.
Also, check for any software updates on MAC
Click here to know how.
Let me know how this goes.
If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
I am an HP Employee
12-09-2019 02:01 PM
12-09-2019 06:22 PM
What about not using a smart phone? I don’t want to argue with anybody here. The bottom line is that before on older printers you installed the printer software on your computer of choice, made sure your printer and computer were on the same network and controlled tasks from the printer touch screen and no need for any smart phones or apps to be installed. Just installing this printer required the use of a smart phone. Luckily I have one, but for those who don’t have one they need to go to the computer and to do stuff. The HP smart app stuff is needing smart phones.
12-10-2019 03:42 PM
You need not have a smartphone to install this printer. You can directly install the HP Smart app on the MAC. If you have a Win PC, you also have an option to install the printer software.
Keep me posted for any other assistance.
I am an HP Employee