Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently replaced my old Photosmart 2570 printer with an Envy 4520 on a Windows 10 build 2703 wireless network.

On the old 2570 I could scan a documet to a pdf file and then use Acrobat Reader DC to searh that document for terms.

Now, on the 4520 I can still scan to a pdf file but cannot search for any term using Ctrl-F.  If I type in a term that I can see on the screen I get a message saying something like 'nothing found.'  This happens from any of three computers on the network or if I hook the 4520 up via an USB cable to each one.

It seems like I remember being able to search a pdf file from the 4520 right after I got it but am not totally sure if my memory is accurate.  I know that after I made the switch Windows updated itself to build 1703 so that might be the source of the problem.

I really need this function so I will greatly appreciate help in getting it solved.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Make searchable PDFs w/OCR scans with this free scanning software - https://www.naps2.com/

Let us know.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Make searchable PDFs w/OCR scans with this free scanning software - https://www.naps2.com/

Let us know.

HP Recommended

Thank you, I certainly will try your suggestion but I don't understand why scanning using the Envoy software doesn't give the promised results.

I have determined that pdf files created with the Photosmart software behave properly as well as those created shortly after installing the Envy.

Go figure.

Thanks again

HP Recommended

OK, I tried naps2 as you suggested with the same results.  Acrobat Reader DC, Edge and Firefox will not find search terms.

What now?

HP Recommended

MY BAD!  Now that I figured out that I needed to enable OCR things work fine.  I appologize sincerely.

Maybe I neeed to do the same for the Envy software but don't have a clue how to do it.  Can you help there?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.