Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP office jet 8710
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
Even I am entering the correct username and password of my email address still it is showing incorrect credentials while the setup of scan to email.Please help!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Hey !

If we are setting up scan to email for gmail domain then we have to check two settings in our gmail account ;;

1.Login to your gmail account and then click settings option.You will find "Two step verification"option under security tab.So make sure that is turned OFF.

2.Under the Account settings ,there would be an option saying "Allow less secure Apps ",so check it and scroll the bar to turn it ON

There are the settings which conflicts in setting up scan to email.Even through if we will correct username and password including correct SMTP port and server then these two settings have to be set first to make it working .

f you find this post helpful then hit kudos and accept it as a solution .

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

What email service do you try setting?

What are the SMTP and uset details you are using while trying to configure?

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended
Gmail.com

smtp.gmail.com and port is 465
HP Recommended
Hey !

If we are setting up scan to email for gmail domain then we have to check two settings in our gmail account ;;

1.Login to your gmail account and then click settings option.You will find "Two step verification"option under security tab.So make sure that is turned OFF.

2.Under the Account settings ,there would be an option saying "Allow less secure Apps ",so check it and scroll the bar to turn it ON

There are the settings which conflicts in setting up scan to email.Even through if we will correct username and password including correct SMTP port and server then these two settings have to be set first to make it working .

f you find this post helpful then hit kudos and accept it as a solution .
HP Recommended
Worked great !! Thanks Rider.Hurray : )
HP Recommended

We ran into a similar issue where we were always getting invalid credentials errors. Turns out that there is a constraint on the password field that sets the maxlength of the password to 50 characters. If you are using an api key as your password from someone, there is a good chance that password is a fixed length and longer than the max of 50. When you paste that value in, you are going to end up having the value you pasted get truncated to the 50 character max. So you will think you are good, but you won't be, and there is nothing you can do to fix it except find a different vendor.

HP support, we need the ability to send longer than 50 character passwords.

HP Recommended

That worked. Less secure but working.

HP Recommended

No-no and NO!

What is with HP breaking such a simple feature? This worked fine until the Oct update for me, now I'm having the same problem. Regardless of what I put in the same **bleep** error about credentials being wrong. 

So HP: 

1. My credentials are NOT wrong - they have not changed! What's changed is the firmware on the HP device and *maybe* the security of the Google and Office365 platforms (I've tried to get this POC working with both)

2. Turning OFF 2-step security (MFA) and allowing less secure apps is NOT a solution! Holy-hell man, that's an invite to get my Google account hacked! Good-god man it's 2019! The solution *should* be using an App password, why the hell would this not work? (PS- it doesn't! I've tried on Office365 and Google, same **bleep** error every time. 

3. Where the hell are the **bleep** logs! Maybe if this thing would actually tell me what's *really* happening I could troubleshoot it. Instead it's giving me this "general printer error" crap with no explanation. Useless generic error messages weren't any fun in the '90s, they're even worse now! Whatever the error is, there's one thing it is NOT and that's a wrong name and password! 

Can someone who actually understands 2019 technology chime-in here and make this **bleep** thing work? I'm getting really tired of having to throw out my printers on an annual basis and flip between the three surviving manufacturers just to keep a working MFC in my office because manufacturers either can't keep software up to date (lack of updates) or can't test those updates and end-up virtually bricking the device.

None of these features are difficult or complicated. Google and Microsoft increase their security on their systems all the time, because *SURPRISE* we all like our email platforms to *NOT* get hacked and we like to combat SPAM, even if it's a loosing battle. Keeping a MFC device working in this environment is *NOT* that complicated people! Maybe it requires a device certificate, or an app-password, or some actual testing and cooperation - but the answer isn't this! 

Please someone from HP reply to these threads with an actual answer, one that's tested and WORKS! 

HP Recommended

@Stevenh246

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

This situation will need some additional support from our internal teams in HP. For that to happen, we will give you additional instructions/information via Private Message.

Please do check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am also facing same issue. My GMail which was working until last month to scan and send documents stopped working now, and I can't get it to work no matter what security settings I do in GMail account. When can I expect a fix?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.