Did you mean: 
BDSummit
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Scan using top tray of Officejet Pro 6830

Officejet Pro 6830

Is there a way to scan through the top feeding tray of this device?  When I put the papers in the screen says "Original Loaded" and gives me the option to hit the scan button.  Once I hit scan it is looking for something to be under the part that raises up like a copy machine.  So basically I have to scan each page at a time instead of being able to put in the top tray and scan all of the pages to create one document.  Is there a way to scan through the top tray?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
23,111 23,067 1,935 3,056
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@BDSummit

Thank you for being a part of HP Forums. 

It'll be an honor to guide you through the steps needed to fix your concern or address your query 😉 

As I understand you need information on scanning via the top tray,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Did you check the user guide for details on your query?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

Load an original in the document feeder
You can copy, scan, or fax a document by placing it in the document feeder.
The document feeder tray holds a maximum of 35 sheets of plain A4-, Letter-, or legal-size paper.

• CAUTION: Do not load photos in the document feeder; this might cause damage to your photos. Use only paper that is supported by the document feeder.

For more information, see Tips for selecting and using paper.

• NOTE: Some features, such as the Fit to Page copy feature, do not work when you load your originals in the document feeder. For those features to work, load your originals on the scanner glass.

To load an original in the document feeder
1. Load your original print-side up into the document feeder.

a. If you are loading an original printed in portrait orientation, place the pages so that the top edge of the document goes in first. If you are loading an original printed in landscape orientation, place the pages so that the left edge of the document goes in first.

b. Slide the paper into the document feeder until you hear a tone or see a message on the printer
control panel display indicating that the loaded pages were detected.
TIP: For more help on loading originals in the document feeder, refer to the diagram engraved in the
document feeder tray.

2. Slide the paper-width guides inward until they stop at the left and right edges of the paper.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE (Page 18 Onward)

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Let me know how that pans out

I will have a colleague follow-up on this to ensure it's taken care off,

as I need to know if the issue has been resolved, to get proper sleep at night.

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge,

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
diman82
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem - I load several sheets of paper on the top tray (feeder), the printer displays a message saying: "Original Loaded", but when I scan,i t scans from the glass, and NOT from the feeder!

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
6,485 6,478 423 523
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@diman82, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Are you trying to scan from the printer screen or a PC? Which OS is installed on the PC?

Which application are you using to scan?

Place a document on the document feeder and try making a copy of it instead of scanning and check if it works.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
MartijnG
2 1 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm really sorry for the delayed response. I tried scanning directly from the printer itself, so no other OS was involved other than the one on the device. Copying instead of scanning did indeed work.

Best regards

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
6,485 6,478 423 523
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@MartijnG

If you are able to make a copy, the scanner hardware seems to be working fine. However, which device are you scanning to from the printer screen? Is it a PC or a mobile device?

What is the error that you get while trying to scan?

Scanning is a process where you convert a hard copy to a soft copy.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation