Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8600
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Officejet Pro 8600 combo, connected to laptop via home wifi, suddenly has stopped printing and shows "offline" even though it scans just fine.  I have reset it several times by turning it off, unplugging, plugging it in again, and restarting.  I have rebooted the computer.  I have done both of those actions in different sequences.  The computer (control panel) does not recocgnize the printer and shows it as offline.  The scan function works fine.

Suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @DavidTN,

Good Day. Thanks for visiting the HP community. I reviewed the post regarding issues with the printer offline message. Superb troubleshooting and splendid description of the issue before posting. Hats off to you on that score. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Did this happen after a recent power outage or surge?
  • Did you run the print and scan doctor utility and check if the issue gets resolved?

For now please try these steps:

• Please run the printer and scan doctor from this link: http://hp.care/2syjvp6; and check if it gets resolved.
  • If it does not then please follow all the prescribed steps from this link: http://hp.care/2sxOrFI for printer offline issues.
  • Please perform these steps one at a time and check each time if the issue gets resolved.

This will do the trick for you.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @DavidTN,

Good Day. Thanks for visiting the HP community. I reviewed the post regarding issues with the printer offline message. Superb troubleshooting and splendid description of the issue before posting. Hats off to you on that score. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Did this happen after a recent power outage or surge?
  • Did you run the print and scan doctor utility and check if the issue gets resolved?

For now please try these steps:

• Please run the printer and scan doctor from this link: http://hp.care/2syjvp6; and check if it gets resolved.
  • If it does not then please follow all the prescribed steps from this link: http://hp.care/2sxOrFI for printer offline issues.
  • Please perform these steps one at a time and check each time if the issue gets resolved.

This will do the trick for you.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

DavidSMP's suggestion to run the Print and Scan Doctor worked beautifully.  Problem fixed automatically in a few seconds after downloading the program.  Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi @DavidTN,

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. 🙂 I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. 🙂 You've been simply amazing with your technical expertise and thanks again for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Please take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.