Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 2600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like advise on using/setting up a wi-fi extender on my  home network to boost the wi-fi signal for my DESKJET 2600 wi-fi printer?

My wi-fi signal is not great in the room, upstairs, where I use my printer and windows 10 computer but options to relocate are limited so a wi-fi extender looks the best option to boost the wi-fi signal.

The printer shows a steady blue light on the wi-fi indicator but even so sometimes the signal in the room is weak and the computer shows the printer as offline.

The network router is downstairs next to the phone line input to the house and moving the router has little options.

Advise on best practice to deal with this problem which I suspect effect many users will be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@lion66 Here's what you need to know and do:

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check connectivity

Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.

1. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.

2. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.

• If your printer in not in the list, turn it off and on, and then click Retry.

• If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.

3. If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.

4. If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.

5. Try to print.

Assign manual IP address and that should fix the issue.

To identify which IP address is currently assigned to the printer, do the following:

1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, touch (Setup) 2. Touch Reports.

3. Select a printer report to print.

Setting a Static IP Address

Once you know your printer’s IP address, entering it is pretty easy. Here’s what you do:

HP Printer Static IP Address

1. Run your Web browser.
  2. In the Web browser’s address bar, type the IP address of your printer and press Enter. Assuming you entered the right address, the HP printer control panel should appear.
  3. Click the Networking tab.
  4. Under Connections, click Wireless.
  5. Under IP Address Configuration, click Manual IP.
  6. Enter the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway in the appropriate boxes.
  7. Click Apply.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@lion66 Here's what you need to know and do:

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check connectivity

Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.

1. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.

2. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.

• If your printer in not in the list, turn it off and on, and then click Retry.

• If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.

3. If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.

4. If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.

5. Try to print.

Assign manual IP address and that should fix the issue.

To identify which IP address is currently assigned to the printer, do the following:

1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, touch (Setup) 2. Touch Reports.

3. Select a printer report to print.

Setting a Static IP Address

Once you know your printer’s IP address, entering it is pretty easy. Here’s what you do:

HP Printer Static IP Address

1. Run your Web browser.
  2. In the Web browser’s address bar, type the IP address of your printer and press Enter. Assuming you entered the right address, the HP printer control panel should appear.
  3. Click the Networking tab.
  4. Under Connections, click Wireless.
  5. Under IP Address Configuration, click Manual IP.
  6. Enter the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway in the appropriate boxes.
  7. Click Apply.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your information. You are the first to proved some useful information on setting up a hp wifi printer to work via a home network wifi extender so I would like to thank you for that. Unfortunately your information has come at the end of my 14 days return period for the wifi extender having tried previously through internet searches to try to get this useful information. Unfortunately yours has arrived after I have given up on setting up the wifi extender and returned for a full refund.

I  have now turned my attention to relocating my system router and although only a short distance is readily possible I am now receiving a what appears to be a workable signal for my printer in my upstairs room. Should I choose to go the extender route again I shall carry out your setting instructions.

Thanks Again

G

HP Recommended

@lion66 Thank you for the update,

I wish I'd have seen this post sooner, nevertheless, as the saying goes - "everything happens for a good reason", it looks like its worked out well in the end,

I'm glad I could be of assistance,

And thanks for honoring us by accepting our post as the solution, as it helps the community grow.

You can always click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos,

Take care and have an awesome week ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.