Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 6600
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

A long time ago, my in-laws bought this printer and didn't actually use it. Now they want to use it. However, the problem is one of the setup cartridges has been nibbled on by a dog and isn't usable. I tried to just replace the cartridge with a new one, but the printer setup system is telling me I need to use the setup cartridge that came with the printer.

Can I override this message in any way and finish the setup process?

- The black, yellow, and cyan are still the setup cartridges.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MSpec

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums After reading your post I see that you want to override "use setup cartridges" message and use regular cartridges. I will be a delight to assist you here.

I am sending you a private message with the steps to override the message. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

If these steps does not work, I suggest that you contact HP Phone Support to request for a setup cartridges.

Regards,

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@MSpec

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums After reading your post I see that you want to override "use setup cartridges" message and use regular cartridges. I will be a delight to assist you here.

I am sending you a private message with the steps to override the message. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

If these steps does not work, I suggest that you contact HP Phone Support to request for a setup cartridges.

Regards,

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I just bought a brand new HP OfficeJet Pro 6975 the set up black cartridge is apparently broken according to the printer menu I bought a brand new black cartridge but the printer won’t let me print anything or set up because it wants to use the set up cartridge it seems to be a similar problem that the other user was reporting can you please send me the steps on how to fix this and also how to get a reimbursement for the broken or defective black cartridge that came with the printer that I paid for
HP Recommended

@Arnoldpeterj

Welcome to the HP Forums, this is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that the cartridge which you received with the printer are broken. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance.

Please find the correct steps to refer the customer to Phone support.

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on "Continue as guest".

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Keep me posted.

Cheers

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
sorry you seem to misunderstand this is not my job to keep going running around in circles I bought a brand new printer had a bad print cartridge I bought a brand new print cartridge to replace it and it still doesn’t work how do I get this to print !!!!!
HP Recommended

@Arnoldpeterj

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

If these steps does not work, I suggest that you contact HP Phone Support to request for a setup cartridges.

Cheer

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, 

My HP Photosmart B110a had setup issue when I changed one of the ink cartridge to a new one, it required reboot and when I turned it on it said missing print head. Tried refering to the online manual to clean and re-seat the print head. I have read on forums that the printhead was the problem. I bought a new one from third party but now it requires a setup cartridge. My original setup cartridge was used up and already missing.

Is there a way to manually bypass this setup step? I have few sets of new unused ink cartridge and just want to use this printer and scanner again as I feel comfortable using this model.

Thanks a lot.

HP Recommended

@Ruked5

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

This is a great place to get support, find answers to your technical queries.

I understand that the printer has an error "Setup Cartridge Missing", need not worry I'll be glad to assist you with this.

Using third-party ink cartridges might damage the printhead or may reduce the lifespan of the printer.

However, I have sent you a private message, for more details that cannot be shared in a public post.

Can you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message for the steps that could fix the issue..

Eagerly waiting for your reply!

Cheers!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I have this issue too with my Envy 5030 - it is on its 2nd set of cartridges and is asking for a setup cartridge for the first time ever. Have upgraded the firmware.

I see that the resolution to this seems to be in private messages only, if you are not willing to share the resolution publicly, can I please have the resolution sent privately also?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Tommybhoy

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

If the reset does not work or if you are not able to perform the reset, please contact our HP Support team for Service Options as it could be a possible hardware issue:

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.