Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet 4635
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to print with black ink only and printer msge "Single CartridgeMode".  I only use the black print cartridge. Copy print works fine.  Printer connection is wireless and PC can find printer ok.

Error Message "No Toner" or "User Attention Needed". Same for any MS application.

Tried fixes without success

• deleleted  and reinstalled hardware/software
  • Printer preferences"Print in Greyscale" set to Black and White Only
  • Cleared printer queue, Rebooted PC and disconnected printer power several times
13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi! @keymer, Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand you would like to know if you can print in single-cartridge mode.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Have you tried checking with a different ink cartridge?

As you mentioned you would like to know if you can print in black using single-cartridge mode on your printer.

I have checked the printer specifications and yes you can use the printer in single-cartridge mode.

Use the single-cartridge mode to operate the HP Officejet 4630 series with only one ink cartridge. The single cartridge
mode is initiated when an ink cartridge is removed from the ink cartridge carriage.
NOTE: When the HP Officejet 4630 series operates in a single-cartridge mode, a message is displayed on the
printer display. If the message is displayed and two ink cartridges are installed in the printer, verify that the
protective piece of plastic tape has been removed from each ink cartridge. When plastic tape covers the ink
cartridge contacts, the printer cannot detect that the ink cartridge is installed.

If you do not have a replacement cartridge available when you follow the steps in this document to replace a cartridge, you can still print. Remove the problem or low ink cartridge, and then print with the remaining cartridge. When the print job is sent, the printer displays a 'Printing in Single Cartridge Mode' message on the control panel. If you remove the tri-color cartridge, the printouts are in grayscale. If you remove the black cartridge, the printer prints slowly and the colors in the printouts might vary.

Refer the printer user guide to know more information. Link: https://hp.care/2hUwLkt

Note: Refer page 77 for more information.

Refer this article to know more information about printing in single-cartridge mode.

Also, refer this article to know more information about printing in black only.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope this answers your query!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

the only solution not already tried is to buy a new cartridge.  might as well buy a new printer, not HP of course

HP Recommended

@keymer, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Try the steps recommended below.

Clear the print queue

Whenever a print job is sent to the printer, a file is created in Windows. Sometimes these files become corrupt and cause problems. Clearing the print queue might resolve the issue.

Search Windows for local services, and then click view local services in the list of results.
In the list of services, find the Print Spooler.
Right-click Print Spooler, and then select Stop.
After the service has been stopped, close the service window.
Search Windows for C:, and then click Windows in the list of results.
Double-click the System32 folder, and then double-click the spool folder.
Double-click the PRINTERS folder.
Delete all the files in the folder.
Try to print.

Also, try the steps recommended below.

Resetting the printer and the computer can help resolve error conditions.
Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
Wait at least 60 seconds.
Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
   NOTE:
HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Create a manual connection refer Step 6 from the document.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot User Intervention Required errors. Link: https://hp.care/2BFC50R

Please mark my post as accepted solution if you feel I have answered your query.

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

i fixed the problem by changing the ip address but with a need to reset router passwords the problem has resurfaced.  I ran the printer doctor ... device status/cartridge or print head problem with instructions to follow the directions on the device.  there are no issues shown on the printer display [thanks for making it impossible to copy the error message]

HP Recommended

print from copy works fine

HP Recommended

@keymer

Thank you for your reply. 

As @A4Apollo is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. I have read your post comprehensively and you have been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills and valuable patience. Kudos to you for that. 

I read that after resetting the router password, the issue has resurfaced. 

Let me know if the printer has disconnected from the wireless network. If yes then please refer to the steps from this HP document to have your printer connected back to the wireless network: https://hp.care/2LAYFN4

The steps mentioned in "Connect a printer with a touchscreen control panel" should help.

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Let me know how it goes. 

Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

"user attention required" ... I reset the internet connection, checked the printer preferences but still no luck.  

BTW with the app I was able to instruct the printer to scan some documents without an issue

I also reinstalled the printer and the app correctly recognized the single cartridge mode but print from the app or directly from the desktop resulted into the same error msge

HP Recommended

@keymer,

I recommend you try the below steps and check if it helps.

Check the wireless light. If the light is steady blue, then the printer is connected to the network. If the light is flashing, then the printer is not connected to the network. Go to Setup - Network - Wireless setup wizard to connect the printer to the network.

Once the printer is connected to the network, then assign a static IP to the printer:

Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.

Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.

Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.

Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)

Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.

Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Now, try the steps below to install the printer over the network:

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Restart your computer.

Open the Run window (Press Windows logo key + R), type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.

Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.

Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.

Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.

Click on http://hp.care/2ptjjHb and install the software.

Select Wireless option on the connection page and then finish the installation.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Not fixed.

"Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)".  That radio button was greyed out.  I entered the addresses anyway, pressed ok, then the process hung on the printer is processing this request.  I followed the rest of the steps notwithstanding but the installation from the app instructing wireless wizzard set up went into a loop even though the device showed the connection was fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.