Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8620
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Sleep mode doesn't work on my new OJP 8620. I tried changing the sleep duration from 5 min. to 10 and to 15, but it still didn't sleep. I tried shutting down and restarting the unit, but that didn't help. On 2 occasions, the unit did go to sleep, but then it woke up after a short while.  Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Fitrst ensure the printer have the latest firmware:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04083718

Additionally be sure to connect its powert directly to a wall socket and not through any power strips, surge protectors, etc.

If the same results persists, try temporary unplugging any cable from the back of the printer to isolate any possible cause (e.g fax cable, USB, etc.), remove one cable at a time and follow to check for any difference.

I would suggest starting with the phone cables, a phone line condition as example may prevent the printer from remaining sleep.

Please let me know the results,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Fitrst ensure the printer have the latest firmware:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04083718

Additionally be sure to connect its powert directly to a wall socket and not through any power strips, surge protectors, etc.

If the same results persists, try temporary unplugging any cable from the back of the printer to isolate any possible cause (e.g fax cable, USB, etc.), remove one cable at a time and follow to check for any difference.

I would suggest starting with the phone cables, a phone line condition as example may prevent the printer from remaining sleep.

Please let me know the results,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Shlomil,

Thank you for your solution. My firmware is the latest. The only cable connection is the phone line.  Unplugging the phone line did allow the sleep mode to work. Is there any sort of phone line filter that would allow me to leave it plugged in? If not, then I guess I have the choice of losing the sleep mode if I continue to leave the phone plugged in.

HP Recommended

Unplugging the phone line into the printer worked for me! 

Spoiler

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.