Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Photosmart 7510

When I print an envelope there is a black ink smudge line across the envelope, perpendicular to the direction of paper feed.   it is 10mm from the edge of the paper        Its about 1 mm wide and thicker at each end of the line.     It renders the envelope customisation impossible.

I have removed the cartridges and the large black one has wet ink aroung the felt-like ink pad.   Does the bottom of the cartridge touch the paper?

Can I remove the carriage to clean the bottom?

Thanks

Graham

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi Graham,

Sorry to hear that you're having problems.

First, let me answer your questions. Yes the bottom of the cartridge does touch the paper and that's how it actually prints.

It basically sprays the ink according to what you're printing.

Second, you can remove the carriage ONLY on the model that has the latch handle.

Here are instructions on how to remove the carriage: Replacing Printhead Assembly

Also, you might want to make sure the cartridges are not clogged.

Please follow the instruction that's halfway the page on this document: Fixing Ink Streaks, Faded Prints, and Other Common Print Quality Problems

Hope this helps and do let me know how it goes! Smiley Happy

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
I work for HP, supporting the HP Experts who volunteer their time and technical knowledge to help others.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the help

Interesting that bottom of the cartridge normally touches the paper.  I had thought that the smudge might have been caused by the envelope not being as solid as a single sheet of paper so the top sheet might have bulged up and been touching something it shouldn't.  Obviously if contact is normal then the printer should be capable of handling a small bulge without a problem.   I thought this was probably the case because the printer is supposed to print on envelopes without messing them up.

The rim surrounding the felt gets wet almost immediately I put the cartridge in the printer.  I remove the cartridge and dry it replace it and it gets wet again.

Does this mean that I need a new cartridge perhaps.   Too late to buy it to finish this job tonight.       I'd prefer not to buy a new one and waste the old one unless you are reasonably sure that will fix it.

Thanks

Graham

HP Recommended

In my personal experience, inkjet printers are not very efficient on envelopes that are thin.

I suggest you try printing again on a thicker type envelope and see if the issue gets resolved.

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
I work for HP, supporting the HP Experts who volunteer their time and technical knowledge to help others.
HP Recommended

Thanks for that

I don't have the option of changing the envelope material.

I bought an expensive p[rinter so I could print all kinds of things that they advertised would be within its capability.

Can it be inik built up on a roller or some other surface that touches the paper.      If I put a sheet of paper through it with alcohol on it will that clean the heads and other surfaces?

I have about 50 hours invested in the job and about 50 to go.

Is there another model printer that you can recomend?

Please reply soon

HP Recommended

No need to bother about the smudge

I just got the message "Printhead Failure"

I guess there was something in there failing

This printer has been a  huge problem since first day.   After wasting lots of time they gave me another one and now its dead.    I am well rid of it.

I have praised and insisted on HP gear for 35 years but this is my last HP product.   Your founders would be ashamed.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.