Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Photosmart 7520
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Printer indicates constant out of paper message due to one of the cogwheels on the paper feeding shaft mechanism has come loose. Trying to replace/fix the part but am unable to disassemble the unit because of special screws in place. What type of screwdriver is needed to remove these special fasteners, and where can one purchase such a tool?

Please advise.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Most of the printers have both clips and screws.  Most of the screws have torx heads on them.  I would just go to your local hardware/big box store and look for a mixed set.  The more complete the set the better (I think most screws are T3 and T8, but don't remember for sure).

Be careful removing the cover pieces.  They can have sharp edges.  Also be careful prying and pulling.  If the piece isn't coming off it might have to be pushed or pulled another direction or you might have missed a screw.

I wouldn't attempt this if the printer is in warrenty. It will void your warrenty.

Also, look on You-Tube for videos about disassembling printers.  You might find one that will help you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Sometimes it takes several posts back and forth to get to a solution - please be patient.
I am employed by HP

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Most of the printers have both clips and screws.  Most of the screws have torx heads on them.  I would just go to your local hardware/big box store and look for a mixed set.  The more complete the set the better (I think most screws are T3 and T8, but don't remember for sure).

Be careful removing the cover pieces.  They can have sharp edges.  Also be careful prying and pulling.  If the piece isn't coming off it might have to be pushed or pulled another direction or you might have missed a screw.

I wouldn't attempt this if the printer is in warrenty. It will void your warrenty.

Also, look on You-Tube for videos about disassembling printers.  You might find one that will help you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Sometimes it takes several posts back and forth to get to a solution - please be patient.
I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.