Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5540 All-in-One Printer series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Happy New Year to you all

I have a 5540 all in one printer that prints colour.  I have been using the colour aspect very heavily and in the last week it just stopped.  I change the cartridge and looked at the display instead of 3 colurs had 3 black; took back to shop and stated it was faulty.  Ran a connection clean along with the other aspects.  The 3 collour indication came back but it still does not print in colour.  Advised to uninstall and then re-install the print driver which I did and still nothing.  Can see from forum people are having colour print problems.  Any suggestions.

Kindest Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @JimofCheam,

Welcome to HP Forums,

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand, your printer is not printing in color.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

Are you able to make a color copy? 

When was the last time it worked fine?

Please try these troubleshooting steps from the link: 

Step 1: Use genuine HP ink cartridges

HP recommends that you use genuine HP ink or toner supplies. HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP or refilled cartridges. If you do not use genuine HP cartridges, the steps in this document might not resolve the issue. To check the authenticity of your cartridges, go to hp.com/go/anticounterfeit.

Visit HP SureSupply to check ink or toner cartridge compatibility or purchase replacement cartridges and other supplies.

1. Go to HP SureSupply.

2. If necessary, select your country/region.

Figure : Country/region selector

Selecting your country/region
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to order new supplies or check cartridge compatibility with your printer.

You can also purchase genuine HP cartridges and supplies from other retailers.

If the error persists, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Check the estimated ink levels

Low ink can contribute to poor print quality. Check the estimated ink levels on the printer control panel, and then replace any low or empty ink cartridges.

NOTE:

Ink level warnings and indicators provide estimates for planning purposes only. When an indicator shows low ink levels, consider having a replacement ink cartridge available to avoid possible printing delays. You do not need to replace ink cartridges until print quality becomes unacceptable.

On the printer control panel, touch the Ink icon  to display the current estimated ink levels.

Figure : Example of estimated ink levels displaying full cartridges

Image:  Example of estimated ink levels.

• If none of the cartridges are low on ink, you do not need to replace them yet. Continue to the next solution.

• If any of the cartridges are low on ink, continue to the next step to replace them.

Step 3: Replace any low or empty ink cartridges

CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE TROUBLESHOOTING

Keep me posted!

Cheers 🙂

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @JimofCheam,

Welcome to HP Forums,

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand, your printer is not printing in color.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

Are you able to make a color copy? 

When was the last time it worked fine?

Please try these troubleshooting steps from the link: 

Step 1: Use genuine HP ink cartridges

HP recommends that you use genuine HP ink or toner supplies. HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP or refilled cartridges. If you do not use genuine HP cartridges, the steps in this document might not resolve the issue. To check the authenticity of your cartridges, go to hp.com/go/anticounterfeit.

Visit HP SureSupply to check ink or toner cartridge compatibility or purchase replacement cartridges and other supplies.

1. Go to HP SureSupply.

2. If necessary, select your country/region.

Figure : Country/region selector

Selecting your country/region
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to order new supplies or check cartridge compatibility with your printer.

You can also purchase genuine HP cartridges and supplies from other retailers.

If the error persists, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Check the estimated ink levels

Low ink can contribute to poor print quality. Check the estimated ink levels on the printer control panel, and then replace any low or empty ink cartridges.

NOTE:

Ink level warnings and indicators provide estimates for planning purposes only. When an indicator shows low ink levels, consider having a replacement ink cartridge available to avoid possible printing delays. You do not need to replace ink cartridges until print quality becomes unacceptable.

On the printer control panel, touch the Ink icon  to display the current estimated ink levels.

Figure : Example of estimated ink levels displaying full cartridges

Image:  Example of estimated ink levels.

• If none of the cartridges are low on ink, you do not need to replace them yet. Continue to the next solution.

• If any of the cartridges are low on ink, continue to the next step to replace them.

Step 3: Replace any low or empty ink cartridges

CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE TROUBLESHOOTING

Keep me posted!

Cheers 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.