Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello to all

My printer head is STUCK in the resting area ( extreme right side of the carriage track.)  I have tried everything I can think of as well as all the HP advice I can find on the internet.  It does not travel at all from the resting  place. it does not move even with manual intervention..This happened after I installed new print  cartridges.

ANY IDEAS HOW TO UN-STICK THE HEAD.

ALL IDEAS WILL BE TRIED

Canadian Frustration

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Artstuff

Welcome to HP support community.

Check the carriage path for obstructions with a flashlight

1. Press the Power button to turn on the printer if it is not on already.

2. On the front of the printer, open the carriage access door.

NOTE: 

The carriage might try to move into the access area. If it does, allow it to move to that position.

Figure : Open the carriage access door

Image: Open the carriage access door.
  3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

4. Unplug the power cord from the power source or electrical outlet.

WARNING: 

To avoid the risk of electrical shock, you must unplug the power cord before moving the carriage by hand and resetting the paper feed mechanism.

5. Check for and remove any loose paper or objects that might be restricting the carriage.

6. Use a flashlight to check for torn pieces of paper that might remain inside the printer. If any torn pieces of paper remain inside the printer, more jams are likely to occur.

Use a flashlight

Paper jammed in carriage path

Image: Use a flashlight

Image: Paper jammed in carriage path

7. Reach into the cartridge access area, and then manually move the carriage.

• If the carriage is stuck on the right side of the printer, move the carriage to the left side of the printer.

• If the carriage is stuck on the left side of the printer, move the carriage to the right side of the printer.

• If the carriage is stuck in the middle of the printer, move the carriage to the right side of the printer.

8. Remove any loose paper or objects found.

9. Make sure that the carriage can move freely across the width of the printer by gently pushing the carriage to the left, and then to the right.

10. Close the carriage access door.

Figure : Close the carriage access door

Image: Close the carriage access door.
  11. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

12. Plug the power cord back into the power source or electrical outlet.

13. Press the Power button to turn on the printer.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.