Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5660 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have been printing just fine for the last few years on my HP Envy 5660 with HP Pavilion p6610f Desktop.  I switched from wireless to ethernet cable, through my IP keeping same router.  I thought I would need a printer cable, so I bought one.  Could not print. Read directions on my Desktop that came with CD.  I found out that I did not need wireless internet to use my printer wirelessly.
I followed directions (kinda) and not sure what I did, but was able to print again.  All of a sudden, seemingly, I could not print again.  (I think it was after a Windows Update that snuck through without my permission)

I am having a series of "Senior Moments" as I can't find the directions to what I did before nor can I remember.  I tried like heck to get the printer to print through USB Cable.

Both the Installation CD and the latest installation download from the HP site stop short during the "set up" process.  It stops at the screen that says "connect the square end of the USB cable to the back of the printer and the flat end to...etc.  The screen shows the printer connecting to a laptop.  I have a desktop but that should not matter.  At the bottom right of that screen it gives only two options "BACK" or "SKIP" but the skip is white because I clicked on the dot to "connect." 

After I follow the directions to insert the cable, I do not have any more options.  I can't click a "FINISH" or  "NEXT" as they aren't available, there isn't even a close "X" on the screen.  I can only close it out by closing the window through the task bar. Then I am told that the software has been installed but my device is not connected, though both ends of the cable are exactly where they should be and were inserted at the right time!

I turned off all the "wireless" printing defaults on the printer itself.  But that did not help.  You would think it would be easy to print with a USB cable, but I guess they want us to do everything wirelessly these days, regardless of how unhealthy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I have several documents that I want to print.  I almost feel like getting another printer.

Open mind Pure intent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for posting the question. The issue could be due to the existing  printer instances in your PC

Please follow the steps to install over USB

1. Disconnect the USB cable from the PC

2. Go to the control panel-> devices and printers   

Delete all the printer icons. it will help to clear the existing connection settings

3. Restart the Printer

4. Now run the software and select USB option and follow the flow.  Insert USB when instructed by software.

Happy Printing.

Click on the "Thumbs up"button on the bottom to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Thanks for posting the question. The issue could be due to the existing  printer instances in your PC

Please follow the steps to install over USB

1. Disconnect the USB cable from the PC

2. Go to the control panel-> devices and printers   

Delete all the printer icons. it will help to clear the existing connection settings

3. Restart the Printer

4. Now run the software and select USB option and follow the flow.  Insert USB when instructed by software.

Happy Printing.

Click on the "Thumbs up"button on the bottom to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)

HP Recommended

YAY!!  Thank you!  My HERO!!!  Works like a Charm!!

Open mind Pure intent
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.