Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I'm running Windows 7 and every time I try to install the printer software/drivers for my HP Photosmart D110 I get an error message 'system cannot find specified file' and the file is 'hpzpnp40.exe'.  Help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

To fix this error, do what Gordon_H suggests except write down the name of the 7z folder when you get the error. Then follow Gordon_H directions up until it is time to reinstall the software. Rename the 7z folder on your desktop to the name of the 7z folder you wrote down when you got the error. Copy that folder into the %temp% directory and then run the setup. 

View solution in original post

48 REPLIES 48
HP Recommended

Hi Gotmoxi,

I'd like to help, but have a few questions:

1. Are you using the install cd or did you download the software?

2. Has the software been previously installed, or attempted to be installed, but failed at some point (other than that part you specified)?

3. Is it Windows 7 32bit or 64bit?

Any information you can give, that is relevant to the issue, may be helpful in finding a resolution.

🙂 If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I have the same problem.

Running W7 64 bits

Downloaded the install-software from HP-website

Had a previous instyallation.

HP Recommended

Windows 7 64bit

Previously installed but stopped working after power outage

I have installation CD, error message cannot find file

downloaded installation file, got same message

ran hp print and scan doctor, says printer is present but not installed

requests me to install printer and that's where I'm stuck because I can't install due to missing file.

HP Recommended
one more thing. I can print wirelessly from my iPad.
HP Recommended

Hi kvonemster,

The reason you can print from the iPad is that the printer is not using software from the computer (it is using the software on the iPad). What printer do you have?

🙂 If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution 🙂
HP Recommended
Thank you. For your response. Can you please tell me how I can get past the error message and be able to print from my desktop computer running Win7, 64bit when connected by USB. This was working just fine until the power outage.
HP Recommended

Your welcome...I would like to see what I can do to help. What printer do you have?

HP Recommended

HP Photosmart C310a

SN: {Removed for privacy}

thanks again for helping with a very vexing problem.

HP Recommended

OK, I think you should uninstall/reinstall using a "scrubber". Please follow the directions below and advise if it resolves the problem or not:

From Original installation CD:

1. Insert CD into drive, and then cancel the installer

2. Open My Computer, and then right click on the CD drive and chose open

3. Open folder Util

4. Open folder CCC

5. If you have an HP computer run the L3uninstall.bat. If you have a non-HP computer run the L4uninstall.bat

6. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

7. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools

8. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

9. Download the full feature software and drivers here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-85745-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...=

10. Run the download to reinstall the printer

OR

If software was downloaded and extracted to your system:

1. Type %temp% in the run field

2. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)

3. Open folder Util

4. Open folder CCC

5. If you have an HP computer run the L3uninstall.bat. If you have a non-HP computer run the L4uninstall.bat

6. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

7. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools

8. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

9. Download the full feature software and drivers here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-85745-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

10. Run the download to reinstall the printer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.