Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
officejet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a HP Officejet Pro 8610. I am getting a "ink system pump failure" message after correctly changed depleted cartriges. I have tried turning off the power and unplugging from the power source multiple times at this point, as well as checking all ink cartridges. But I keep getting the same message.  I have tried resseting and the problems keeps coming back with the ame error.  The printer is no longer under warranty at this point.  Bought a little more than a year ago.  Can this be fixed.  Seems that I<m not the only one with the same problem here.

Thanks a desprate user in need of a printer.  

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@dan8610

Welcome to HP Forums, 
This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I understand that you facing issue with the Ink system.

Are you using Genuine Hp ink cartridge?

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps on your own?

I suggest you do a Hard Reset

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.
(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

If the issue persists, follow the HP document that could fix the issue.

Let me know if this helps you.

Keep me posted.

Have a great day!

Cheers;)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

First, thank you for replying.  Greatly appreciated.  Yes at your first question I have always used original HP cartridges.

I have tried all proposed solutions suggested and end up with the same error display.  <<the ink system pump has failed<<

Prior to changing depleted cartridges, everything was working fine.  It seems that i,m  not the only one that had the same problem in this forum.  I really don<t know what to do at this point.  I have $160  new cartridges that are not working.

I,m out of solutions.  I just can,t perceive having to buy a new printer, if so, it will never be a HP.  I will go back to a laser Canon which I had more than 8 years without any problems.

Thank you 

HP Recommended

@dan8610

Thanks for the reply,

It seems like it is a hardware issue, I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. 
If your product is out of warranty, then remember to choose the paid options to get the tech support number.

They might have multiple options to help you on this.
Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted on any other assistance.Hope that helps! 

Have a great day ahead!

Cheers;)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your time and help.

I have contacted HP support for the second time and funny to say the first time the technician guy said my computer was the problem it has important trojan  viruses and also the network was infected.  He said even buying a new printer would not resolve this issue because of the infected hardwares.  As for the second call the technician said it was the printhead that is  defective and replacing it by a new one at ( ($140.00 can) would not insure it would work correctly.  They offered me a refurbished all in Officejet pro  8710 at a discount price at $188.99 can with a 3 month free ink supply delivered to my door.   

Whats your feel on this?  seems contradictory to me.  Should I go for the offer?  I'm a big fan off laser over inkjets.  Laser cost more for the ink but last longer and hastle free.    INkjet seems more delicate in terms of usage and handling.

Many thanks for your inputs.

Have a most excellent day.

HP Recommended

@dan8610,

It looks like you were interacting with @Raj1788, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 
I'm the Jeet_Singh & I'm at your service. 

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any.

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends).

Response times may vary by region.

Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My printer says INK SYSTEM PUMP has failed.... is that an easy fix or should just buy a new printer

HP Recommended

ANY NEWS ABOUT THIS PROBLEM ?

HP Recommended

I have same problem that is discussed here in this thread. Printer worked fine about 2 weeks ago when last used. It disgusts me to see that I probably must junk this and buy a new one. If I do it will NOT be HP. Actually right now I can't afford any kind. I need a printer when I need it and this one does not have that many cycles on it to have failed like this.

HP Recommended

NOthing that I have seen that works for anyone.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.